earthquake rattles Ottawa, Quebec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never heard of one Andy. Come to think of it I've never heard of them having an earthquake either...

H2Andy:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060225/wl_nm/quake_canada_dc

holy cow... but.... is there even a seismic fault anywhere near Ottawa?

has this happened before?

I moved to Ottawa 10 years ago and this is probably the 3rd earthquake since I've been here. All small, shaking things a bit, but no real problems. There is a fault of some sort, but nothing like the ones on the west coast.

wow colby... learn something new every day

Paul, from your link:

In January 1880, Cuba was the center of two strong earthquakes that sent severe shock waves through the town of Key West, Florida. The tremors occurred at 11 p.m. on January 22 and at 4 a.m. on the 23rd. At Buelta Abajo and San Christobal, Cuba, many buildings were thrown down and some people were killed.

believe it or not, when i grew up in Cuba, there was still a saying around
"that was worse than the earthquake at Buelta Abajo." that was close
to 100 years later =)

H2Andy:
wow colby... learn something new every day

Paul, from your link:

In January 1880, Cuba was the center of two strong earthquakes that sent severe shock waves through the town of Key West, Florida. The tremors occurred at 11 p.m. on January 22 and at 4 a.m. on the 23rd. At Buelta Abajo and San Christobal, Cuba, many buildings were thrown down and some people were killed.

believe it or not, when i grew up in Cuba, there was still a saying around
"that was worse than the earthquake at Buelta Abajo." that was close
to 100 years later =)

A piece of insurance trivia for you...

Your homeowner policy will not payout on an earthquake...

You need to add a rider(mine has a $2000 deductible)...which I have even living in VT

I am not about to have to eat the Major Expenses of a damaged home...read foundational damage that would result from an earthquake...

I added mine after the Upstate NY quake that damaged many homes, businesses and churches and they were informed they were NOT covered, so all their expenses were to be out of pocket...

Back
Top Bottom