earthquake at the parking lot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weekender

Contributor
Reaction score
ok, I was at the algol on Sunday. for those of you not familiar with the area its referred to as the parking lot because there are numerous wrecks in a small area. thus the fishing and diving boats park there. anyway, on my second dive I was on the line going up with my buddy (check me out with a buddy, im so DIR!!) and I heard a deafening sound. loudest thing ive heard in 20yrs of diving. scary loud. make your fillings shake loud. I assumed I had a burst disk go, thought to myself," oh, guess that's what a burst disk sounds like." signaled my buddy who gives me an ok. I surface confused as to what could possible make such a noise. I immediately conduct a survey to see if I was the only one to nearly wet myself. turns out everyone either thought their burst disk went or a clam dredge had hit the top of the wreck and was dragging the length scooping up and dismembering divers. those on the wreck told me the entire ship (over 400ft) was shaking as they held on waiting to be ripped from the rail by the teeth of the dredge. either way, it was confirmed, it was crazy loud!! turns out that a barge loaded with rocks dumped them over a mile away from us. the sound of tons of rocks hitting the bottom is what I heard. Did anyone else nearby hear this? if so, what were you thinking? and finally, was it scary loud or am I and the entire group I dove with a bunch of nancy boys?

TTSkipper:
Wow sounds like I definately would have had a problem not having installed a p-valve in my drysuit yet :)

How did you find out what it was?

they guys who were on the dive boat when i surfaced pointed out the barge. it was almost out of the water. they said it was sitting very low in the water one minute and the next it was high. they figured it dumped something but didnt hear a thing. the sound show was reserved for the divers.

weekender:
they guys who were on the dive boat when i surfaced pointed out the barge. it was almost out of the water. they said it was sitting very low in the water one minute and the next it was high. they figured it dumped something but didnt hear a thing. the sound show was reserved for the divers.

A) I don't think a pee valve would not have helped in this situation (if you know what I mean)

B) I was one of those guys sitting on the boat pointing (and laughing)

C) the look on those guys' faces underwater must have been priceless!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom