Earn up to $50/hr finding golf balls in water hazards on local golf courses.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluesbro1982:
As someone in television, I deal with "weasel words," daily. None is more universal than "up to..." because it implies an amount, but in reality doesn't guarantee anything.

How about posting the median salaries your employees take away after taxes rather than an "up to" claim.

If it sounds too good to be true....

I'm a teacher that does this as a part time summer job. This summer I dove 24 days and collected 78,400 balls. Just under 3,300 a day. If I were willing to put in longer days (usually I worked about 6 hrs/day), I could have easily collected 4,000 a day.

Not easy work, but the money is good.

7800 bucks a month isn't too bad. I've done much worse things and not gotten paid nearly as much. Still curious how one goes about doin this.

Ya, it would be interesting if the original poster came back and replied to those who have expressed interest :wink:

I would imagine that this could be quite a dangerous enterprise, especially for novice divers. Terrible Vis, thick sludge, jamming your hands into mud that could contain just about anything, and above all doing it solo. Imagine being in 4 feet of water, reaching into the muck to grab a ball, and realizing that you have just caught your wrist under a tree root.

Not for me folks!!!

J

bikefox:
I'm a teacher that does this as a part time summer job. This summer I dove 24 days and collected 78,400 balls. Just under 3,300 a day. If I were willing to put in longer days (usually I worked about 6 hrs/day), I could have easily collected 4,000 a day.
And then how much diving for fun did you do when you weren't mucking around for balls? I am afraid that this kind of use of my gear might just ruin the fun diving for me.

Not to mention all the fertilizers and pesticides golf courses use that all drain into those ponds. I think I'd be diving dry with a full face mask.

with the ability to make a couple grand a month, and the fact that most of those water hazards are only a couple feet deep, you could probably do most of your hunting without scuba gear. just some waders and gloves. I worked doing landscaping in highschool and had to clean out many little ponds and water hazard type things. Its pretty nasty but not that bad. Especially when you consider the money that you can make doin it. I'd be more worried about it if I were in a place like florida or lousianna that was filled with gators and water mocs. Then you might have somethin to worry about.

I was golfball diving around washington state, used a dry suit (that leaked) and a ffm I did not use a bc, I hung a tank off a float bouy, that also worked well for hanging golf balls in a goodie bag. I also had a 40' lp hose that was also rigged with floats. For the actual gathering of the balls I rigged up a small goodie bag with a 45 degree bent peice of pvc for an opening, that way you could quickly put the balls in the bag and not worry about them falling back out. Once that bag was full I would swim over and fill the big bag.
There usually was another diver on the course but it was understood that you were on your own.
Points of interest- I figured the ponds we were diving would be considered a haz mat sight, if a real diving outfit was in the water, im sure all haz-mat procedures would of been used. Up north I figured the biggest danger was entanglment from hoses, wires, carts, fences who knows what else, the other danger that could be overlooked was the power pumps used to spray the pretty water in the air, if a pump had a short, or you grabed a damaged wire you could get fried.

to the nitty gritty, I made some good cash I got 8 cents a ball and would end the day with 300-500 bucks some days. The old timer I dove with had a couple $1000 days. I usually spent 3-5 hours under water, wich is a long friggen time.

A couple observations, you cant see at all. Golf ball diving is in no way like recreatioal diving. If you dont feel totally at ease rolling around blind in a muddy swamp forget it. When you have a couple thousand balls in a bag, its really heavy and trying to drag one out of a swap is hard work.

Some suggestions, dry suit madatory, dry gloves would be ideal, ffm is neccecary. Use a weight harness and use a really long hose and hang your tank. The biggest suggestion, get a pee valve in your suit. Plan on having a dedicated set of gear for golfball diving, it will stink to no end and even your tanks will stink.

if you have any more questions drop me a line, and if your wondering I did the job for a couple months untill something else came up, and I never plan to golf ball divng again

JUMBO

ReefHound:
Not to mention all the fertilizers and pesticides golf courses use that all drain into those ponds. I think I'd be diving dry with a full face mask.

Bingo..

So, 10cent per ball isn't worth in my perspective...

well the work sounds less than glorious yes, but the money is alluring. I have yet to hear from anyone where I send the balls and get my money. How does that work? Is this a local thing or national. Whats the deal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom