Early June NorCal visit - 'must-do' dive locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattcass

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I'm driving down to California from Vancouver in early-June for a week of diving. I'm probably not going to go any further south than Monterey Bay. I've got about 50 ocean dives under my belt and I am comfortable diving in most conditions (v. cold, strong currents, bad vis, big swells, etc.).

I'm hoping to get some advice on where to ocean dive, basically anywhere in Northern California. I've found some information on diving at Monterey Bay but not much about other sites. If there are dive guide out there please let me know which ones to check out!

Also, would it be worth it heading any further south? I've only got about a week so with 3-4 days of driving to get to-from California, going any further south would eat up a bunch of dive time.

Thanks!

Matt

I second Pt Lobos. It is a great dive site. You have to have a dive buddy though.

If not Pt. Lobos then checkout Breakwater, Lover's Cove, Butterfly house, or Carmel River North.
Any dive shop in Monterey will probably be able to get you sorted with a DM; just call ahead of time and ask. Aqua Safaris in Santa Cruz also has some great DM's in their ranks.
I wouldn't try Monastery Beach unless you get an experienced local/DM to take & brief you on the specific entry and exit techniques. Even then you should only dive that beach when it's absolutely flat.

If you decide to try Pt. Lobos keep in mind the weekend reservations need to be placed around a month in advance due to it's popularity as a good dive site. Weekdays are a bit more open and you often don't need a reservation then. Entrance fee to the state reserve is $10per person plus $10 per vehicle.

Pretty much every dive shop in Monterey offers guided tours. As suggested Point Lobos is an awesome dive site, but does require reservations far in advance for weekends, but is usually available during the week. There are also fees to enter the state park $10, and a divers fee which is another $10.

Bruce from Aquarius enjoys giving tours around the area.

I would also recommend the metridium fields at San Carlos beach, next to the breakwater. Since it's a deeper location, vis can be better than other nearby sites, and there's often octopus, squid, wolf eels, and obviously the metridiums. I've seen the occasional guitar fish there too.

Last edited:
Ditto on the vote for Point Lobos. Get a DM, kick out of the cove and hit hole in the wall. The Monterey charter boats are also a good way to go if you want to experience a few different sites in one day.

Pt Lobos +1

Since the OP is coming from Vancouver he'll probably comment on how small our Metridiums, Octos and Wolfeels are... :)

And how warm the MoCal water is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pt Lobos +1

Since the OP is coming from Vancouver he'll probably comment on how small our Metridiums, Octos and Wolfeels are... :)

Don't you have to be a diver to offer advice on where to dive in Monterey? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom