Ear Squeeze with blocked ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fah

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On my most recent trip to Grand Cayman I was diving the north wall with my son and a group of other divers. The profile was 100' wall dive with a head first entrance swim-thru at 80' exiting on the wall face at 95'. I was the last in the follow the leader line to enter the swim thru which was a head first entry with an approx 6' x4' opening into a larger cavern exiting onto the wall. I have never had ear problems and did not experience any difficulity on this dive until I was half way into the opening when my left ear started to hurt. I could not back up without turning around which meant I had to descend at least 10' to turn around and ascend. I was very worried that my ear drum would burst and I would have a sudden attack of vertigo, to the point that I was looking for which piece of coral I could grab if the spins started. Fortunately, the cavern had a raised overhead opening which I ascended into (while still able to maintain sight of the group), clear my ear and continue. I was a little nervous for the time on the deep wall with some residual ear pain, but no vertigo. Later I was fine and all remaining dives were fine with no ear problems. In retrospect, I probably forgot to equalize my ears sufficently for the sudden descent into the opening and my usual subconscious equalizing that I do below 30' did not work well in a head down orientation. The lesson for me was to make sure all is well with ears, gear and anything else before entry into a restricted space.

That was some good thinking, especially if you were narced. I don't think most divers would have thought the problem through like that. Assess, think, and Act. Vertigo could be very ugly at that depth. Glad it worked out for ya.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom