Ear popping after diving... any advice please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you know how to equalize your ears on a plane?

I start to do it before I go diving the night before, at breakfast, as I walk down the dock, on the boat, again before dropping into the water, then soft valsalvas cintinuously all the way down. Don't do hard honks.
Hi how are you Chilly?
I equalize on plane simply by swallowing. But doesnt work for diving. Normally valsavas works well if I descend heads up from surface. These days I was practicing descending heads down immediately after back roll in the water. It took more force to do valasava. While I was kicking down and equalizing, it hurt a bit in my ears. But today I feel better. Gotta dive tomorrow. Will talk to the DM.

Go easy. Clear early and often, that means every 2 feet down to around 20' then you can back off a bit. The should NEVER be pain. A mild pressure is a clear indication to clear.
If you can't clear easily, ascend until you can. If you can't > scrub the dive. Don't force it. Forcing clearing can end up with permanent ear damage.

On boat dives I discuss this with the guide. I try to be in the water early and descending......slowly.....before the group starts down so I have a head start on going down. This only works if the viz is quite good and there is no requirement for a fast descent.

Why are you doing head down descents? Just for fun or are you guys doing some negative entries in current that require fast descents?

My point regarding clearing on a plane, is practice that now whilst you are on the surface. It's like exercise for equalization. You should be able to hear your ears clear. Perhaps, with mouth closed but breathing in through nose, move your bottom jaw down slightly and then forward.

When actually diving, you really need to clear early and often. Blow out through your nose during backroll and then equalize on every breath during descent. If you feel any pressure or pain stop descending immediately, rise 1 foot, try again . . .gently! No hard honks. Go up another foot or two if you have to do so.

Sometimes I can hot drop. Sometimes I have to go slow. I find that if I have any trouble at all going down, then it becomes helpful to do several clears on the way up.

Hi all. Always come to you for advice.
I have some popping noise in my left ear if I tilt my head from one side to another. My last dive was yesterday. It seems to me that there is water in it. But I am not able to shake it out.
Is it water or simply not? Any advice would be appreciated.
I can’t be bothered making my own so I just buy a bottle of Auro Dri or similar ear drops. I have a bottle on every dive trip and put a few drops in each ear after every dive - once you tilt your head back straight after putting the drops in, any water in your ear drains right out.

Auro-Dri Ear Drying Aid Drops

Seems more of a bother to buy it, than make it.
It's mostly alcohol: [Isopropyl Alcohol 95% in an Anhydrous Glycerin 5% Base (Ear Drying Aid)]

The alcohol is a surfactant, lowers surface tension which promotes the water removal. Vinegar is acidic which creates a hostile pH environment for the kind of bugs that tend to colonize and create the outer ear infection.
The bottle is the important part. I have one of the pointy tip bottles that they don't seem to make anymore. What, people put their eye out?

Go easy. Clear early and often, that means every 2 feet down to around 20' then you can back off a bit. The should NEVER be pain. A mild pressure is a clear indication to clear.
If you can't clear easily, ascend until you can. If you can't > scrub the dive. Don't force it. Forcing clearing can end up with permanent ear damage.

On boat dives I discuss this with the guide. I try to be in the water early and descending......slowly.....before the group starts down so I have a head start on going down. This only works if the viz is quite good and there is no requirement for a fast descent.
Thanks Merkel.
I will be slower today. Will see.

Why are you doing head down descents? Just for fun or are you guys doing some negative entries in current that require fast descents?

My point regarding clearing on a plane, is practice that now whilst you are on the surface. It's like exercise for equalization. You should be able to hear your ears clear. Perhaps, with mouth closed but breathing in through nose, move your bottom jaw down slightly and then forward.

When actually diving, you really need to clear early and often. Blow out through your nose during backroll and then equalize on every breath during descent. If you feel any pressure or pain stop descending immediately, rise 1 foot, try again . . .gently! No hard honks. Go up another foot or two if you have to do so.
It's part of my CMAS2 course. Right, slowdown is important... No haste.

It's part of my CMAS2 course. Right, slowdown is important... No haste.

Good for you! So glad you continue in your training.

There is nothing wrong with heading down, head first. I always do that but if you are having trouble equalizing, head first can be a problem.

I still recommend clearing as often as possible on land. It's what I call exercising my ears. Then the ears are always ready except on days that I have a bit more congestion for some reason.

Best of luck and keep at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom