Ear popping after diving... any advice please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zixzax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all. Always come to you for advice.
I have some popping noise in my left ear if I tilt my head from one side to another. My last dive was yesterday. It seems to me that there is water in it. But I am not able to shake it out.
Is it water or simply not? Any advice would be appreciated.

Mix some isopropyl alcohol and vinergar together 50:50, and put it in the affected ear with a dropper while tilted up. Leave it that way for a bit to help get inside, then tilt the ear down. If the water is on the outside this mix should help it drain out.

If it does not, then, I think it more likely you have some fluid in the inner ear as a result of some pressure barotrauma. Given your symptoms (popping while tilting) I think this is more likely anyway. It should clear on it's own but may take several days to a couple weeks. Do NOT dive while you still have symptoms. In the future pay particular attention to proper ear clearing techniques.

Mix some isopropyl alcohol and vinergar together 50:50, and put it in the affected ear with a dropper while tilted up. Leave it that way for a bit to help get inside, then tilt the ear down. If the water is on the outside this mix should help it drain out.

If it does not, then, I think it more likely you have some fluid in the inner ear as a result of some pressure barotrauma. Given your symptoms (popping while tilting) I think this is more likely anyway. It should clear on it's own but may take several days to a couple weeks. Do NOT dive while you still have symptoms. In the future pay particular attention to proper ear clearing techniques.
Thanks for advice and I will try

Middle Ear, not inner ear.
If just a fluid sensation, it is just mild serous otitis media from barotrauma and the fluid will reabsorb. If you also have pain, ringing or loss of hearing, go to your physician.

If just a fluid sensation, it is just mild serous otitis media from barotrauma and the fluid will reabsorb. If you also have pain, ringing or loss of hearing, go to your physician.
No pain. But yes I gotta be cautious next time when doing equalization. I was a bit hasty to descend in my last dive for a wreck, with my head down. I found it a bit difficult to clear. That might be the reason.

Thanks a lot Doctorfish.

No pain. But yes I gotta be cautious next time when doing equalization. I was a bit hasty to descend in my last dive for a wreck, with my head down. I found it a bit difficult to clear. That might be the reason.

You should have told us that. That is the reason.

Don't descend fast if you can't do it safely. Just don't.
I have to go s..l...o...w...l...y to 12-15 feet, hang out a couple minutes, then proceed slowly down. Been this way for years of diving. There are very few times where a fast descent is necessary. Besides, it just adds to the sense of anxiety and likely increases air consumption.
Slow down, relax, enjoy.

Yes, heads up helps. It's also critical to clear properly and well in that first few feet down. A fast descent sets you up for problems if you are not one of those people gifted with easy clearing.

Do you know how to equalize your ears on a plane?

I start to do it before I go diving the night before, at breakfast, as I walk down the dock, on the boat, again before dropping into the water, then soft valsalvas cintinuously all the way down. Don't do hard honks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom