Ear infections, congestion and Nasonex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much crackling would be involved with a barotrauma event and what would provoke it or is it something that'll just start and stop at random times? Two of my three crackling episodes (which sound like bubbles popping when you get shampoo suds in your ear when washing your hair) involved something in the ear canal (the doc's scope thing when i had the first bout of swimmer's ear in early june, with no blocked up feeling, and a silicone-tipped earbud for inflight entertainment on friday, which was probably not the best idea in hindsight).

Blue Sparkle
:who does NOT pinch one nostril when blowing her nose anymore:
Does that work for you? I've never get to use my nose that way. Got to risk the one closed blow. :depressed:

How much crackling would be involved with a barotrauma event and what would provoke it or is it something that'll just start and stop at random times? Two of my three crackling episodes (which sound like bubbles popping when you get shampoo suds in your ear when washing your hair) involved something in the ear canal (the doc's scope thing when i had the first bout of swimmer's ear in early june, with no blocked up feeling, and a silicone-tipped earbud for inflight entertainment on friday, which was probably not the best idea in hindsight).

When you say two of your three episodes involved something in your ear canal, do you mean something as in an object? Or something as in fluid?

Your description of the crackling seems to match how mine presented. Here's what I was thinking in my case: I believe the "crackling" was caused by the fluid in my middle ear. I think when I would yawn (or similar), it would put pressure on/try to open my eustachian tubes/middle ear and the fluid would "crackle around." It's probably more of a bubbling but maybe sounds a bit like crackling due to being in one's own head/ear.

I think in my case it was completely caused by my cold/blowing nose REALLY hard. But it seems like middle ear barotrauma could be very similar in symptoms (in fact I thought maybe I had that at first because I had just finished a dive trip; but going back over the timeline after I got home I became nearly certain it had nothing to do with diving, as it showed up about 10 days after my last dive and right on the heels of exceptional cold-congestion that I tried my best to "honk" out of my system).

From what I read online, once there is the excess fluid in your middle ear, it can take a while to go away (sure did in my case). Until it was gone I had the crackling upon yawning, etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the "event" causes the symptoms and then the effects of those symptoms can take awhile to go away (even when the event has long passed).

Note that this was my lay-person's impression after experiencing it and reading about it (also my physician - although not an ENT - more-or-less agreed). So perhaps the ENT's on this forum might shed light on any mistakes I've made.

Does that work for you? I've never get to use my nose that way. Got to risk the one closed blow. :depressed:

Ha! Sadly, no, it's not nearly as effective or satisfying :depressed: And I somewhat simplified in my earlier post (because my posts tend to get long anyway). I definitely no longer pinch one nostril and "honk." I try not to pinch at all (took some getting used to). Very occasionally I will pinch, but then I only blow really gently. I do not want to repeat those months of symptoms!

I had read/heard over the years that the pinch/blow was not a great thing; OTOH, I did get away with it for a long time. Too, I imagine different people's eustachian tubes are more/less prone to problems.

This happened to me on the heels of a two-week dive trip (although 10 days later and in the midst of a cold I caught on the way home, so probably not directly dive-related), so I wonder if my eustachian tubes were a bit more vulnerable due to being "tired" from the diving. I do notice that toward the end of a two-week trip my ear clearing becomes slightly more difficult; I can always clear successfully, but it's like my eustachian tubes feel a bit "tired," if that makes sense.

I always thought that I equalized easily because I've been blowing my nose so hard & often for over 50 years. :idk:

Hi oreocookie,

While one cannot say for sure, it is possible that the positive pressure created within the external auditory canal by the insertion of these devices may have resulted in inward movement of the eardrum. This in turn may have caused presssure on accumulated fluid within the middle ear space and the "crackling".

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such. Consult with your physician before taking a drug and diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom