Ear infections, congestion and Nasonex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I hit 40 I would get ear infections every time I spent more than a couple hours a day in the water. Then I started using the recipe below after EVERY dive. I haven’t had an ear infection in 28 years. I always have a bottle on board and in my truck. I just take the cap off hold my finger over the opening and let a small amount go down into each ear.
All the materials are available at any drug store for less than $10.00. The Alcohol dries the water, The boric acid is what your grandmother used for infections and the white vinegar keeps the wax from drying up because of the alcohol.

Ear wash recipe
1 Pint 70% or less % Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol
Boric acid powder 6 oz. is more than enough
White Vinegar

Pour out about 2" of the alcohol out.

Pour or put about 2 Table spoons Boric acid into Alcohol and shake up. If acid remains in powder on bottom you have enough if not add until a small amount remains on bottom. Only a certain % will go into solution so you can't overdue the Boric Acid. Fill the remaining area in the bottle with white vinegar and shake up. The solution is now ready to use.

I usually buy 3 or 4 bottles of alcohol and mix them up in a big bowl then pour them back mixed up into the alcohol bottles. This way the powder on the bottom remains in the bowl and won’t make your ears white when the solution dries out after pouring it into your ears.

Just went through five+ weeks of what you have, sounds like.
One week of antibitics (pills) and ear drops. External swelling and pain gone but I still complained about internal congestion; Air Valsalva OK, but very noisy. (Anyway, that's what it felt like to me.) Day 14, doctor said the ear looked fine but gave me Nasonex and Allegra D; "If no joy in three days we'll go with an ENT." No joy. Next day ENT said the orginal drops couldn't reach the inner sanctum due to inflamation. Power washed ear, sprayed it with powder and gave me scripts for Ciprofloxacin (pills) and Ciprodex (drops). "NO water in ear for two weeks." Day 29, ENT said everything was OK. But I still feel a slight inner "congestion," diminishing a little more each day. Pool Valsalvas OK (5').
Now, I'm old and infirm and don't heal as quickly as in the good old days; your healing will probably be lots faster. But, you might want to stay on top of this and don't be shy about getting back to your doc, given the nearness of your upcoming trip.
(My problem could have been caused, at least in part, by not using AuroDri after a dive in a salt water aquarium. I just restocked last week!)

When I hit 40 I would get ear infections every time I spent more than a couple hours a day in the water.
I wonder why we didn't have the problem until later in life? I don't think any of my kids & grandkids have any, therefore don't use my suggested mix - even tho most of them have had ear tubes.

You go thru a lot of your mix! I use maybe an ounce or two on a week long dive trip. Are you spilling most of it?
(My problem could have been caused, at least in part, by not using AuroDri after a dive in a salt water aquarium. I just restocked last week!)
That's what I started with but now use the bottles for my alcohol & vinegar mix. :D

Well the pain is gone, but it still feels blocked with a bit of occasional crackling. Hopefully I won't have F106A's experience but I guess I'll find out in the next few days. One way or another, I'll definitely be looking into bringing some sort of post-dive drops on my trip.

Well, the crackling is definitely barotrauma; that is not something you get with otitis externa. Hope it resolves quickly!

Medical alcohol at 50% suffices too, but don't mix up a years supply as I understand that the vinegar breaks down after a month - which is why it's not in store brands.

I make my own post-dive ear drops, 50/50 vinegar and alcohol. I had never heard that the vinegar breaks down over time. I presume you mean when it is mixed with the alcohol... right? And not just on its own?

This is good to know, as numerous times I have used up what was left from the last trip at the beginning of a dive trip. Oopsie! In fact at the end of my last trip I had a large bottle of alcohol and one of vinegar from the store, both of which were partially used up. To simplify transport, I just mixed them 50/50 in one of the bottles..... Guess I'll be tossing that and buying new.

Blue Sparkle

I make my own post-dive ear drops, 50/50 vinegar and alcohol. I had never heard that the vinegar breaks down over time. I presume you mean when it is mixed with the alcohol... right? And not just on its own?

This is good to know, as numerous times I have used up what was left from the last trip at the beginning of a dive trip. Oopsie! In fact at the end of my last trip I had a large bottle of alcohol and one of vinegar from the store, both of which were partially used up. To simplify transport, I just mixed them 50/50 in one of the bottles..... Guess I'll be tossing that and buying new.

Blue Sparkle
I've only read that once, from a very reliable source - whom I won't name as I couldn't find the post if I had to, but as cheap as the ingredients are - I mix up a little for each trip.

Well the pain is gone, but it still feels blocked with a bit of occasional crackling. One way or another, I'll definitely be looking into bringing some sort of post-dive drops on my trip.

Hi Oreocookie,

This certainly sounds like a middle ear barotrauma event, for which "ear beer" or other similiar preparations placed in the ear canal will provide no relief.

As regards differentiating middle ear barotrauma or infection v outer ear infection (infection of the auditory canal), the following is a quote from an article I wrote for DAN's Alert Diver magazine:

"External ear infections are characterized by redness, swelling and itchiness or pain localized within the external auditory canal. The discomfort may worsen with manipulation of the ear. If pushing on the small flap of ear that covers the canal, pulling back and up on the entire organ or pushing on the face just in front of the ear cause marked pain, chances are you've got swimmers ear.

Infections of the outer ear canal typically are easy to differentiate from barotrauma of the middle ear; the latter are characterized by pain deep within the ear, muffling of sounds or decreased hearing, a sensation of fullness and continued crackling. In the case of middle ear infection, there may also be redness of the eardrum and fever. The pain generally is not made significantly worse by manipulation of the external ear, e.g., tugging on the ear lobe, pressing on the pinna."

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such. Consult with your physician before taking a drug and diving.

Last edited:
Okee dokee, there are two esteemed physicians who say middle ear barotrauma so it sounds like you need to work on equalizing more gently. This is somewhat more common with new divers, but while I have had a few bouts with swimmers ear, my home bud has had challenges in that area for the 10 years we've been diving. The video linked above is very helpful with that, plus he practices equalizing at times for a week before a dive trip and always takes decongestants & antihistamines - the anything that may help approach. :eyebrow: Maybe your challenges are not as bad as his, we always stop at 15 ft on the way down the first few days of a trip while he works on his - not needed after a few days of diving, but good luck on developing better equalizing habits - early & often, including on the boat before each dive.

We both still do the ear mix rinse early & often so as to prevent both problems. :crafty:

In January 2010, I apparently gave myself my own middle ear problem of which the symptoms were very similar to yours. I got a cold not too long after a dive trip, and proceeded to blow my nose rather vigorously (each nostril separately, while holding the other nostril closed -- you know, the way they always say NOT to, but which works so well....).

Apparently I essentially --- erm, pardon the lack of daintiness here -- blew snot back up into my eustachian tube. Or at least I somehow caused my middle ear to get fluid in it by blowing my nose so hard.

Symptoms were that it sort of felt like I had water in my ear, I could hear my pulse in that ear when I was lying down, and when I yawned (or similar) I could hear sort of moist crackling in my ear.

Of course at first I figured I'd try the outer ear solution (50/50 vinegar/alcohol). I could tell something was probably going on with my middle ear, but I wanted to eliminate any outer ear involvement. Well, that didn't do a thing, so outer ear was clearly not a/the problem (although it kind of felt like it so I could see why people might suspect it).

I did some reading online, and it seemed like I had otitis media, and (since I didn't have pain/fever) "tincture of time" was probably going to be the cure. Actually, after reading about some folks who had this problem for years, I started worrying a bit (you know, like when you get the hiccups and read about people who have had them for ten years with no relief). Gaaah!

I also read about a method for trying to "pump" the eustachian tubes out somewhat. It's called the Galbreath Maneuver. You sort of massage the side of your jaw/pull down on it, and then forward. I'd be curious to hear what the doctors here on the forum think of that. (Also, while looking up that name just now, because I had forgotten it, I found another manipulation called "auricular drainage." I didn't try that (these seem most directed at kids, who get otitis media a lot).

I also read that using a neti pot helped some people, although I had not yet tried it when mine started getting better.

After a while, I checked in with my doctor, who agreed there was no active "infection," and tincture of time was probably going to be the way to go (I guess sometimes it can get infected in there, whereas I just had fluid there that needed to be reabsorbed). He did give me a prescription for.... hmm, I can't remember now, but some de-blocking med that was a "well, this might work..." sort of thing.

I held off on taking that as, by that time, it was starting to show signs of improvement. Sure enough, before too long it was all better. BUT, it lasted from early January until sometime in April. Ugh! So -- at least from my experience, don't be surprised if it does not clear up right away.

I'm not writing this to be the definitive medical guide. And I may have some of it a bit fuzzy in my memory since it was over a year ago. But mainly I just wanted to let you know that from my experience (and what I read online), it may take a while to clear up (again, I never had fever or pain; not saying to be complacent if you have a dangerous infection).

Blue Sparkle
:who does NOT pinch one nostril when blowing her nose anymore:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom