Ear infections a constant problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes you should try swimmers ear or a similar product before the dive and after the dive. It may sound like a funny concoction but olive oil nine parts and one part hydrogen peroxide will also work and is an old divers home remedy. >>>>>>>>>>>> When you get the problem completly gone why not mix up my simple solution. Then do what I have done for the last 30 years. After EVERY dive put a few drops in each ear. You can mix a couple quarts of it for around 10$. Good luck. I hope your ears dont start growing little toes. 😛😡
Cause I'm the laziest guy on the planet. There's a *lot* of things that I *should* do. :) I *think* they're just a lot of little hairs, but I'll look more closely.

Cause I'm the laziest guy on the planet. There's a *lot* of things that I *should* do. :) I *think* they're just a lot of little hairs, but I'll look more closely.
In the Lazy department, get this for $3 at any pharmacy, carry in your mask box, use after each dive: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fougera-The-Original-Swim-Ear-29.57-mL/10317164

Or that's what I do. I'm also cheap, so I refill the bottle myself, with a 50-50 mix of alcohol & white vinegar - with much debate of alcohol strength, but I really don't think it matter. I measure equal amounts of the two liquids into a cup, then use a small funnel to pour. The bottle is sturdy and the applicator is removal for refilling. I like to squirt a little glycerin to the mix to help prevent burning. For my daughter who can't keep up with little bottles between trips, I buy little bottles on ebay. They don't have removal applicators, but I can squeeze them, then suck up the mix. :wink:

Some ingredients seem to be in every recipe.

I was concerned about using ethyl alcohol right next to an already wobbly brain during surface intervals, so PMed a professional for help.

~~~

descent:

Can I use homemade health remedies containing alcohol to kill ear plankton?

If I use them enthusiastically, can I become drunk?​

TS&M:

Re: "trying to prevent ear problems"

There is no problem with alcohol absorption through the ear canal. It is keratinized epithelium like skin. The problem with pure alcohol is that it dissolves skin oils that protect the keratinized layer, so eventually, it can result in drying and increased susceptibility to the very infection one was trying to avoid. In general, it is not recommended that solutions for irrigating the external ear be more than 50% alcohol, but I do not know where that number came from, or whether it has ever been formally tested (I doubt it).

Lynne​

~~~

I didn't find the time to thank her for her advice. There's never enough time.

For the last couple of months, I have been sitting up late and listening to the machines beep while I watch someone sleep.

A temporary regret is now a permanent one.

Some ingredients seem to be in every recipe.

I was concerned about using ethyl alcohol right next to an already wobbly brain during surface intervals, so PMed a professional for help.

~~~

descent:
Can I use homemade health remedies containing alcohol to kill ear plankton?

If I use them enthusiastically, can I become drunk?​

TS&M:
Re: "trying to prevent ear problems"

There is no problem with alcohol absorption through the ear canal. It is keratinized epithelium like skin. The problem with pure alcohol is that it dissolves skin oils that protect the keratinized layer, so eventually, it can result in drying and increased susceptibility to the very infection one was trying to avoid. In general, it is not recommended that solutions for irrigating the external ear be more than 50% alcohol, but I do not know where that number came from, or whether it has ever been formally tested (I doubt it).

Lynne​

~~~

I didn't find the time to thank her for her advice. There's never enough time.

For the last couple of months, I have been sitting up late and listening to the machines beep while I watch someone sleep.

A temporary regret is now a permanent one.

50 years 10000 ten thousand dives never had that problem for the last 50 years ive been using my recipe. Maybe the Boric acid is the key. I'm going out again today and using it after every dive, Probably will make at least 4 dives for the third day in a row.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom