Ear infection from swim at spring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluebanded goby

Contributor
Reaction score
This question is sort of medical and sort of geographical, but leaning toward the latter I thought I might try it here.

I've had pressure, ringing, etc, in one ear for the last 4-1/2 weeks. My doc noted fluid behind the eardrum and first treated it via the decongestant/antinflammatory route (Entex PSE later supplemented by prednisone). It hasn't cleared up, and when I see him today I think he may consider an antibiotic against the possibility of an infection.

I noticed that I came down with this right after I returned from a trip to Florida during which I snorkeled and did shallow freediving at Blue Spring State Park n.e. of Orlando. I didn't significantly penetrate the boil, only got down to about 12-15 ft, didn't experience any ear/clearing difficulty while in the water, and normally that depth would be trivial and wouldn't be likely to result in ear injury in me. I'd think that the water being from an artesian spring and low in oxygen content wouldn't incline toward lots of microbial critters. But you locals would know better than I would. Would you say based on your experience that ear infection risk is any different (higher, lower, whatever) in the springs there than diving anywhere else in the world? Thanks for any thoughts.

I've never had a an ear infection from diving at Blue Springs or any high flow spring like that. I have gotten them in the summer time in lows to no low springs and sinks that develope an algae bloom during the summer months. But Blue Springs I don't think gets any algae bloom in it, but I could be wrong. Was the water cloudy at all?

Were you at the beach (over on the east coast) swimming in the water at all? Bacteria levels in the ocean have been high this year. Lots of nasty stuff in the water over there.

Thanks for the response, Wendy. I'm not implying that I think there's necessarily a connection here, I was just interested in input from you locals.

On that particular visit I was only in town for about a day and half, so I wasn't in the ocean at all -- just Blue Springs (and a thorough dowsing when I walked outside right as a storm front rolled through! ;-) ). Thanks again.

My first though would be that the springs are fairly clean, actually "filtered" from the water's long travel south. I'm sure the water isn't "pure" but they appear to be the cleanest thing going as far as healthy dive-water.

My dive buddy is very susceptible to ear infections. He develops an ear infection just about everytime we go to cave country. Now he just takes antibotics as a preventative.
The rest of us have no problems. You may want to at least use some drops in the future.
Good Luck,
Larry

daylight once bubbled...
My dive buddy is very susceptible to ear infections. He develops an ear infection just about everytime we go to cave country. Now he just takes antibotics as a preventative.
The rest of us have no problems. You may want to at least use some drops in the future.
Good Luck,
Larry

I'm not a doctor, but have been around the medical field for some time. Your friend may want to reconsider taking antibiotics as a preventative. I've found that rinsing my ears out with a solution of 50% vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol after diving works well for me.

Yeah, he uses the acohol/vinegar wash but to no avail. His Doc just gives him a dose pack prior to a trip to fresh water. Salt water isn't an issue.
Thanks anyway.
Larry

After my OW my buddy had a severe ear infection from lake water albeit he has not had a problem later when diving the caribbean. I always make a point of cleaning my ear canal after diving. Q-tips do the trick and I always feel better afterward. Make it a point to bring some q-tips along just to be safe.

Just my .02

Thanks for the comments. Just to clarify, my ear issue is in my middle ear, so treatment of the outer ear with alcohol-vinegar, etc, wouldn't help (although I do frequently do that).

Doc started me on a course of cipro (antibiotic) today to see if this clears it up. If not, off to the ENT for a more detailed exam.

It's highly questionable to me whether it's something I could have picked up at the springs, but that was the only dive I did within a week or so of the beginning of symptoms.

bluebanded goby once bubbled...
Thanks for the comments. Just to clarify, my ear issue is in my middle ear, so treatment of the outer ear with alcohol-vinegar, etc, wouldn't help (although I do frequently do that).

Doc started me on a course of cipro (antibiotic) today to see if this clears it up. If not, off to the ENT for a more detailed exam.

It's highly questionable to me whether it's something I could have picked up at the springs, but that was the only dive I did within a week or so of the beginning of symptoms.

cipro is my favorite ear antibiotic. that should do the trick.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom