Ear equalizing issue..Feedback please..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocooma

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I’m new to this forum, and new to scuba diving for that matter.

I’m a 30 year old male and thought I’d post up about a problem I have with equalizing etc hoping to get some help or info from anyone who has had the same or similar experiences.

Firstly, I’d just like to note, before anyone reads this (if they think the issue could be serious) and quickly writes it off with a ‘Go see a DOCTOR or ENT’ like I’ve seen people write in other forums etc.

I WILL be seeing a doctor, I am booked to see one next week.

I am simply posting in this forum to see if other divers have had similar or the same experiences. (as doctors may be well and good, and study their lives away learning medical issues, but not all dive, and have first hand experience with diving issues, therefore can’t tell exactly what will, could or does happen in these situations.)

So I just want to read a few personal experiences, if anyone has any, to get information from both sides of the field (real divers vs medical).

Ok, about 3-4 weeks ago I got my PADI Open Water Certificate.

Since then, my ears still have not fully cleared / popped.

Here’s what happened.

First day, we did the pool work, then went for one dive. The dive was pretty good, I equalized fine, was down for about 30 minutes, only went about 6-8metres due to weather conditions and the dive site we could access.

Due to it being my first day and dive, with lack of any experience on ascent I went up a little fast (not too bad though) my ears popped slightly but continuously like a drumroll, got to the surface, felt ok, no pain, just a bit of fullness in the ears.

I did get water in my ears, I seem to get this all the time, even with simple surface swimming, snorkeling etc, and did not get it out with Aqua-Ear like I do usually, which probably not help what was yet to come.

Second day, I still had the fullness in the ears, equalized them a bit with the standard hold nose and blow technique, by the time we were to do the 1st dive for the day, my ears were clear, but still probably had water in them.

Descent was fine, equalized well, dived for about 25 minutes at 5-6metres.

2nd dive for the day, same again, descent was fine, equalized well, but on ascent, for the course, we needed to do a ‘safety ascent’. It was only 5 metres down, and I surfaced within 30 seconds, but the drumroll happened severely again when I was 1 metre under, then all the way to the surface (I did not have any pain, nor do I have any pain up to this day from it).

Yes I probably should of even ascended slower, eventhough it was a short distant, but the purpose of the exercise was to do it the speed I did it.

Since then I haven’t been able to equalize my ears 100%.

For about 4-5 days I had that fullness in my ears, and extremely slight deafness, but I read this is common and it passed after 5 days.

After that, I just haven’t fully equalized I don’t think.

I hold my nose and blow multiple times a day, and they pop, sound and feel like they are fully clear, then I release my nose and it feels like it all goes in reverse and air or something pops back in and they feel full again.

It is getting less and less though day by day, but still, it’s lasted 3-4 weeks.

Yes I should of seen a doctor within the first week or so, but due to having no pain at all, I assumed it would pass (but there’s many sayings regarding assumptions, so I hope I have not made a bad decision by leaving it so long).

Has anyone had this experience, or similar, that they could give me a little bit of info on?

I have had history of problems equalizing with planes, where I’d have sore ears for up to 2 days after a flight, but that was when I was a child, since 16 or 17, I don’t get it bad or at all, and if I ever do feel it coming, I just chew gum, yawn etc and it goes.

I’m guessing I just have extremely weak Eustachian tubes?

Below is some brief history on health problems etc that could contribute to this maybe?.

When I was younger, I had quite bad and frequent nosebleeds, but like equalizing on planes, the older I got, the less I had, and now I’d probably get one every one to two years.

Same goes with hayfever, I had this a lot when I was younger, but rarely have problems with it now.

I’m hoping this problem equalizing won’t affect me from diving in the future, as I have little knowledge of this, I could be looking way to deep into my equalizing problem and there could be a simple fix (like taking more time to ascend slowly), but any info from anyone would be much appreciated.

If this is common, and I’ll be fine, I have some questions for my future dives.

1. Seeing due to weather conditions with my course and only being able to dive 8 meters, could diving deeper in future dives be a problem for my equalizing?

1. I know there’s many equalizing method and different ones work for different people, but what works for you? I’m interested in trying many, to find what’s best for me.

1. Is there any good exercises to strengthen weak Eustachian tubes?

1. Due to ALWAYS getting water in my ears when swimming, I’ve read about those ‘Pro Ear Dive Masks’ IST Pro Ear Mask - Blue | Simply Scuba UK are these a gimmick, or do they work well to keep water out of your ears? They seem to be better with equalization aswell due to the air space in your mask and the ear pockets being connected by a tube.

Sorry for the essay!

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and can respond with any information.

Regards,
Brendan

Hi Cocooma,

That was a lot of good information. I'm not a medical person, just a diver.

Did you have a crackling sound in your ears after any of your diving/pool work. This would usually be noticed when swallowing? That can be an indication of mild barotrauma with fluid where it shouldn't be. It generally absorbs and clears within a week or 2.

Prior to diving my hearing was impaired for 12-18 hours after flying, now it's a non issue so don't get worked up over your history.

Eustachian tubes do get conditioned with regular training so you are doing the right thing with daily experimentation. Learning to just sneak up on them to provide an air exchange is the trick. You don't want to slam them.

When performing a valsalva maneuver outside of diving the audible effect is inverse with a slight temporary impairment. Think about it, you should already be equalized in daily life and any adjustment will create an imbalance in air spaces.

Be sure to treat your ears after every day in the water, see here. My one bout of swimmers ear felt like I had been whacked in the side of the head, it was a decidedly outer ear sensation as it is.

This video is well worth your time. It's on this page with ore good stuff.

In general you are doing the right thing with equalizing a time or 2 per day when diving. On a dive day do it on the way to the site, when you arrive, while you gear up, when you get in the water, just before going under and between each breath while going down. With comfort and confidence you can back down over time.

Pete

I had alot of the same problems during my training and the first few dives afterwards, some people are just prone to getting more water trapped in thier ears than others, after more diving and trying different techniques and learning how to decend at the proper rate it has gotten much better, also my lds suggested using docs pro plugs so i gave them a try and i swear ill never dive without them again, they made all the difference i the world, they must be fitted properly to work so make sure your lds helps you out and you get the right ones also they only cost about 12 dollars or so, small investment if it helps you dive more comforatably

I also recommend and use Doc's Proplugs. Well worth the $12.

I use them on EVERY dive when my head is exposed to the water (non-hard hat dives) which is probably around 150 - 200 or so dives a year.

Take heart. Your visit to the doctor will reveal a solution in all likelihood. The differences in each person's physical makeup includes size of sinuses, ear canals and etc. Some people have more problems clearing than others. In nearly 1000 dives I have had problems 3 times, each related to coming off of a sinus infection or cold. I have found that taking a single little red sudafed 1 hour before diving has helped a number of people I know, and I do it for myself. Not everyone will agree, though. Also, sometimes people with an "obsession" about clearing over do it. Here some things we do that help us: descend slowly,
equalize gently, breath out one or twice through you nose, move your head from side to side, swallow. The least noticeable moves are best. Good luck, and happy diving!
DivemasterDennis

The reason people advise folks to see a doc is that it is nearly impossible to diagnose a condition via the internet. And of course there is the liability issue.

What you are experiencing is very common. Especially with new divers. It is more common than people think in the diving community, IMHO.

I am not a medical professional, but have had lots O' ear and sinus issues over the years.

My GUESS is that your eustacian tubes are clogged/plugged. Possibly due to allergy issues or something else.

Smart to see the doc.

Keep divin. Dive safe.

I have problems clearing also. The standard holding my nose a blowing simply doesnt work. I swallow and wiggle my jaw. Make sure you desend vary slowly. If you dont mind me asking what was the water temperature when you were diving? If it is cold you will have more of a problem clearing then if it is nice and warm out.

My "usual" advice on this is:
--Everybody is different, so what works for this guy may not work for you.
--Yes, Doc's Pro Plugs (they can cost more than $12). Or a hood. Both do the same job: keeping MOST water out and rarely letting any go in too deep. Both together are too much of a hassle.
--MY equalising: When you yawn you'll hear a "click" at the apex of the yawn. Try to hold your ears/jaw/whatever in that position. That's equalising for me. No other movement necessary unless you descend like a rocket--then swallow. Ascending: I don't know, never had problems there either. Good luck.

I think your problem is in your middle ear or Eustachian Canal. That needs a Doc's look/see.

If, perchance, external ear canal infection is the problem, this is not a new issue.

Good discussion of the issue: Effect of Diving and Diving Hoods on the Bacterial Flora of the External Ear Canal and Skin

DAN recommends half and half white vinegar and rubbing alcohol.

Back during the Tektite program, in 1969, there was a lot of problem with middle ear infections, a protocol of a few drops of mineral oil in each ear prior to diving and a post dive wash was developed.

While Vinegar/alcohol is good, what we used for earwash on Tektite was equal parts of 15% Tannic Acid (15 gm. diluted to 100 ml), 15% Acetic Acid (15 ml diluted to 100 ml) and 50% isopropyl or ethanol (50 ml diluted to 100 ml) in a wash bottle. On Tektite we used ethanol because we had a bunch in the lab for pickling specimens. If you leave a wash bottle full of solution in the sun (e.g., on the dash of your car) it feels so good after the dive.

If you have access to any High School or College chemistry lab you can make it. Or you can likely get a pharmacist to make it up (get you doc to write it out as a prescription) or just get the stuff you need from any Chemical Supply company

1) Tannic acid (crystals), weight out 15 grams, transfer to a 100 ml volumetric flask and fill with water.

2) Acetic acid (liquid) put 50 ml or so of water into a 100 ml volumetric flask, slowly add 15 ml of glacial acetic acid then dilute to 100 ml with water.

3) Dilute an appropriate volume of alcohol with water so that you get 100 ml of a 50% alcohol solution.

Combine equal parts of the three solutions (in this case 100 ml each to make 300 ml of Tektite Solution).

Mineral oil in the ears before the dive, and Tektite Solution after. I've done this since '69 and never had any problems with my external acoustic meatus. No need for me to use earplugs.

Hi again,

Thanks to everyone for your responses, it's eased my mind knowing this is quit common. I was thinking 'is this going to happen everytime I dive?'.

Its not painful etc but is an annoyance.

Spectrum:
Yes there was crackling, so may be mild barotrauma.
Thanks for those links, I saw the video link the other day, will definately download it.

ff1455 & HowardE:
Thanks for your info, will definately buy some plugs, happy to spend more than $12, if it's going to make my dives even the slightest bit more comfortable afterwards.

DivemasterDennis & Davemohio:
Yes hopefully the visit to the doc will sort everything out, I'm thinking some under lying allergies could of attributed to the issue.
Thanks for the equalizing tips too.

nes999:
Thanks, will give the swallow and wiggling a go too.
Water temp was about 21 degrees celcius.

TMHeimer:
Cheers, will try a few different methods, but definately will check out the pro ear plugs.
Yeah its strange, descending I was always fine, but the ascending was the problem, my ears were popping and cracking like a finaly of a firecracker show. But next time I have and will take the time to come up slow.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/thalassamania.htmlThalassamania:
Thanks for that, I might try it, will tell the doc about it, and see what he thinks.

Overall, next time I'm out and not being in the mindset of 'hurry up, dont hold up the rest of the dive class' I think I will be alot better, as I can take my time doing everything right, and getting used to it.

Thanks again,
Brendan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom