Ear Beer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen posts by people adamantly opposed to using alcohol in the ears. I can’t remember the reason offhand. Personally I use 50-50 mix. The tricky part is finding a suitable dispenser.
They sell isopropyl alcohol in bottles with caps that have a small opening in them and a flip top. That's what I used to use. Not totally mess-free, and I would get a little dribble down my cheek, but not too bad. Then I found a small bottle at REI in their travel sundries section. It has a long, tapered dispenser and a little cap that fits on top. It works perfectly.

I get these to make up mixes for family trips. At 5 for $1.84, I don't mind that I don't get to reuse them.

5Pcs 20ml Empty Squeezable Plastic Dropper Bottles Eye Liquid Cap Lids Container | eBay

upload_2019-8-23_11-13-16.png

Has anyone tried EarPro? Had a friend in Europe say it was better because it keeps water from getting trapped and prevents infections while it also doesn't dry out the skin in the ear like alcohol and vinegar do. I guess that causes all kinds of problems over the long term too including swimmers ear etc.
Thinking of giving it a try but it is a bit expensive.

Has anyone tried EarPro? Had a friend in Europe say it was better because it keeps water from getting trapped and prevents infections while it also doesn't dry out the skin in the ear like alcohol and vinegar do. I guess that causes all kinds of problems over the long term too including swimmers ear etc.
I don't know what it is. I googled it, but just found ear protection for firearm firing. There are various vented ear plugs available, my home bud tried a pair to make equalizing easier - with no joy, but I don't think any ear plugs can safely prevent water from entering the ear as water pressure increases to two to five times surface pressure.

I mix half white 4% vinegar and half 50% alcohol with a squirt of glycerin anew for every trip as it can breakdown after a month or so. The glycerin protects from damages from the alcohol. I use a little in each ear after every dive and every shower of a dive trip which may be excessive. The alternative is sitting in a doctor's office on the verge of tears, and I've been there. Not all doctors will prescribe ear drops with hydrocortizone for the pain in their treatment, and I hate that, as that's what helps the most.

Thinking of giving it a try but it is a bit expensive.
The mix I described is virtually free if you reuse the dropper bottles. For my kids & grandkids, I get new ones on ebay for trips as one doesn't really want to share bottles, and it's hard to keep them separated and washed between trips The bottles are cheap.

It can also help to clean your ears well before a trip. First apply some mineral or vegetable oil to each ear, held in with cotton balls overnight. The next morning rinse inside the ears with a water bulb or syringe. There are boxed kits available with all of that. Sometimes the old wax that comes out is pretty gross, but clean ears drain easier.

Well, I gave it a try and I am actually pretty happy with it. earpro.co is the site, guess it is mostly in Europe at the moment but you can get it here.
You spray once in each ear before the dive, it coats the ears and prevents water from getting trapped, also targets the bugs that cause infections so no need to reapply after the dive. Has a two year shelf life so the cost balances out, enough in a bottle for a couple hundred dives.
Did about ten dives over 4 days in Monterey and normally even with the vinegar I would be struggling but with this stuff, no problems at all and my ears felt great the whole time.
No more Vinegar for me :)

No more Vinegar for me
The alcohol and vinegar mix is virtually free, but glad you're happy.

Thanks... My issue with the alcohol and vinegar was that it was more of an after thought than preventative. During the dive I would get the trapped water and discomfort.. maybe even the start of an ear infection, I can tell when the little tickling comes and dousing my ears with the vinegar and alcohol after the fact seems a bit behind the game and didn't always solve the issue. This stuff actually coats and prevents from the get go... subtle difference but I notice it.

During the dive I would get the trapped water and discomfort.
You may have ear wax buildup. A physician could look and evaluate, or you can try a safe removal and see how much you get. Your hearing can even be greatly improved. Been there, done that. Here's the steps.
  1. Soften the wax. Use an eyedropper to apply a few drops of baby oil, mineral oil, glycerin or hydrogen peroxide in your ear canal.
  2. Use warm water. After a day or two, when the wax is softened, use a rubber-bulb syringe to gently squirt warm water into your ear canal. ...
  3. Dry your ear canal.
The alcohol-vinegar mix will dry the ear. The mix will breakdown after a month, but 95% alcohol plus glycerin is stable; make it yourself or buy a bottle. I add a little glycerin to my mix for dive trips. A doctor taught me to use baby oil in my ears, held in overnight by cotton balls, then irrigate. A kit like this helps: Rexall Ear Wax Remover Kit- 0.5 oz

Your ear wax has a highly acidic ph which prevent bacteria or fungus from growing. Repeated exposure to chlorine or salt water strips the ear canals of this protective layer, essentially cleaning out the ears excessively. Without that layer of protective wax, coupled with damp conditions, it creates a perfect breading ground for germs, hence external otitis which is an entirely different beast from internal or middle ear infections. The ear beer does wonders for halting bacteria growth and drying out the ear. If that is insufficient, antibiotics are the next step.

Here is a great video on ear problems and diving.

I will definitely have to get my hands on the balloon devise before my next dive vacation. I rely on taking Sudafed, which not only makes me jittery, but I also worry about bringing an illegal substance to the island.

The last few times diving i got water trapped in my right ear. This is something new after all of my years of diving. I used a product call "Earshield" which didn't work. What I've been doing now is seeing my ear doctor after my trip and he gives me a prescription antihistamine which relaxes the inner ear and drains the fluid, usually within a week. It's not painful and doesn't hinder equalizing it just really annoying having limited muffled hearing in the right ear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom