• On ascent or on the way up

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • I can not tell

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I never had any ear problems

Votes: 30 44.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Jay:
Alright this has become slightly silly. Its my position that REVERSE SQUEEZE occurs MOST OFTEN when a diver is sick but chooses to take medications which then wear off during the dive........Someone disagree with that general statement??

It is hard to read every post in the thread. But apparently the 3 people who had reverse squeeze DID NOT take medications and DID not have illnesses during their dive.

I also discussed hypothermia and upper respiratory congestion as a possible cause.

You are the second person, in addition to STRING who had not read all the post, which would be difficult, who made the same statement. I am guilty of not reading all posts too...

I think that last time it was because of 3 take offs and landings after 8 days of diving. My ears were fine until after that last flight. Wound up with an ear infection and I couldn't hear for about a week.

Fisher,

I had read all the posts prior to mine...I stand by my statement! (=

If you are having a pain in the ear from a reverse block, don't you do the opposite of what you do to equalize while descending, that is, you would create negative pressure in your mouth by attempting to draw air in while blocking your nose. Yes?

Whoa! I just tried this! Basically, I held my nose, sucked in and swallowed. Thats a strange feeling!! I was amazed (though I don't know why) that it worked!

Lehmann108:
If you are having a pain in the ear from a reverse block, don't you do the opposite of what you do to equalize while descending, that is, you would create negative pressure in your mouth by attempting to draw air in while blocking your nose. Yes?

Don't think so. Typically, you don't have to equalize on ascent because the pressure in your sinuses naturally escapes (equalizes) automatically. What you're suggesting is a way to cause the equalization to occur. Well, if the airway into (and out of) the sinuses was open, it would occur naturally. No technique needed. The problem is that with a reverse squeeze, the airway has become blocked. I would think the best (only?) option would be to take your ascent VERY SLOWLY, giving the air lots of time to escape.

Ice9:
Whoa! I just tried this! Basically, I held my nose, sucked in and swallowed. Thats a strange feeling!! I was amazed (though I don't know why) that it worked!

Cool, why didn't I think of that... Maybe one of this day they will name this procedure after you, and it will be in all the OW dive books!!

Divin'Hoosier:
Don't think so. Typically, you don't have to equalize on ascent because the pressure in your sinuses naturally escapes (equalizes) automatically. What you're suggesting is a way to cause the equalization to occur. Well, if the airway into (and out of) the sinuses was open, it would occur naturally. No technique needed. The problem is that with a reverse squeeze, the airway has become blocked. I would think the best (only?) option would be to take your ascent VERY SLOWLY, giving the air lots of time to escape.

I think you are right, ascend very slowly, and wiggle your jaw and relax your jaw muscle to see if you can open the eustachian tubes.

Lehmann108:

Yes i think this is right in conjunction with that everyone else is saying. You would try a "reverse equalization" but would also try and ascend very slowly. The problem comes, as i said, when you are low on air and are still unable to head up without pain.

fisherdvm:
Cool, why didn't I think of that... Maybe one of this day they will name this procedure after you, and it will be in all the OW dive books!!

Awesome! Lets call is the Lehmann-Ice9 maneuver! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom