• On ascent or on the way up

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • I can not tell

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I never had any ear problems

Votes: 30 44.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My traumatic ear injury occurred on the way up. I became congested due to hypothermia (my first dive in a fresh water lake with a shortie!). On the way up, I had pain in my ear, and a cracking sound under the skin that lasted for a week.

This last week, a diving friend also had a possible ruptured ear drum (blood coming out of her ear) with the injury occuring on the way up.

My theory is, most traumatic ear injuries occur on the way up, as pressurized air trying to escape from the middle ear through the eustachian tube expand, when the eustachian tube is congested.

Most people will stop and ascend if their ear doesn't clear on the way down. But if you can clear on the way down, and not on the way up, that's where I think the problem is.

When i did it, it was on the way down. My left ear wouldn't pop so i forced it. I was able to get down and do the dive. Every time after i heard a squeaking when i would equalize in the left ear. After on the surface i had pain and a feling of water in the ear. I went to the Doc and was put on a decongestant and a steroid to help it feel better. It took a couple weeks. From then on if i can,t equalize i abort the dive.

had almost the same thing.. dived with a cold and on the wway down had a little trouble equalizing.. went up a few feet seemed to be fine.. 5 mins later hada kind of annying "ok im here " pain. went to the doc sure enough had sum "mild barotruama" according to her.. gave me decongestant was out diving a week later ( gave it some time to heal) but almost the same thing happened guess i didnt wait long enough even though doc said i could go diving the next day.. so it took two -three weeks for that one to clear up

Reverse squeeze (the inability to equalize while ascending) is a big problem, but less likely than the inability to equalize while descending. I would say that reverse squeeze is caused (more often than not) by individuals taking decongestants prior to a dive, and having those meds wear off prior to accent. Not a good situation to be in, as you must choose between severe ear trauma / pain, and running out of air. Not a hard choice, but still very unpleasant.

Jay

Happened on the way down for me. Ear didn't really "hurt", but just let me know there was something mildly wrong. I think my middle ears are more sensative than most to this. Now I just gotta make sure I stay on top of the equalizing, because if I feel any discomfort at all it may be too late ...

Thalassamania:

In reply to your question marks, since I was a child, when I get cold, I would have runny nose and sneezes. Example would be when a cloud passes overhead, I would sneezes. Or sneezing in the pool after I am chill. My son has the same problem.

It is a known entity where one has mast cells sensitive to cold... It causes cold urticaria in some, cold induced asthma in others, and in myself, only upper respiratory congestion.

On the way down. Every once in awhile I equalize too late or too forcefully and end up with some minor barotrauma. My worse cast resulted in dizziness that led me to see the Doc and to call DAN. Turned out not to be anything too serious, but it took a good 3-4 weeks to completely subside. Treatment included Meclizine (Dramamine II) and Sudafed.

fisherdvm:
It is a known entity where one has mast cells sensitive to cold... It causes cold urticaria in some, cold induced asthma in others, and in myself, only upper respiratory congestion.
I'd never heard of cold causing a reverse block that was significant enough to do damage.

Thalassamania:
I'd never heard of cold causing a reverse block that was significant enough to do damage.

Now you have.... But I never claim to know all the answer. It just puzzled me when I was a kid ... Now with 2 doctorate under my belt and 2 residencies later, I realize I know alot less about medicine than ever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom