Eager new guy seeking guidance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gear Purchase order?? Hhhmmm, let me see. I am sure I will get some argument here from someone. You can't please everyone, you know. Hhhmm, let's see. I'd go with the order below. I have put some thought into this so this isn't just an arbitrary list.

Mask, fins, snorkel
good fitting wet suit as already mentioned. The thicker it is, the better it is.
dive knife, dive light
regulator set (first stage, second stage and alternate)
BCD
computer
and finally, dry suit (trust me. you'll figure this one out)

Timeliner:
Blue Water Snob ( lame creatures that they are... :shakehead )
it's more like a bar tab actually.

Hey Frank...I represent that remark and I prefer Warm Water Wuss....Thank you very much !! :wink:

PvilleStang:
Ah, green water snob here...

GREEN! So that's what color it is .... Its been bugging me for months! I was figuring it was one of those wimp chick designer fruit colors, like "avacado" or something :D

Lately I've been spending a lot of time in Spring Lake (Aquarena) where the color is Crystal - as in clear. Son/Buddy and I are getting new lights for Christmas so it'll be back to the murky green waters of Travis very soon.

As for the Blue water - never actually tried it. I still think its a myth designed to draw the wimpy ones into Scuba. There's PLENTY of great fresh water diving right here in little ole Texas.

PvilleStang:
Ah, green water snob here...

I think "dark olive drab" captures the water color around here a little better.

I just pretend I'm diving in a Dos Equis bottle, and I'm in heaven, but then I get too eager and try to drink the beer I'm diving in...

ZzzKing:
I think "dark olive drab" captures the water color around here a little better.

That sounds about right, if you stay above 60ft. Of cours right now, can you get much below 60 ft?

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement (although I'm not sure that "olive drab" is encouraging... :huh:)!!

I am going to start another thread to ask about what kind of equipment to start buying first. I'd like to get your opinions, because most everyone here dives in the kind of environment that I will be diving in as well.

Thanks again for all the friendly help!

Lots of great diving opportunities here in the Lone Star State. And lots of good diving buddies to be found here on Scubaboard. Last winter in one weekend, I dove three different lakes with 3 different swampers - each time the first dive with that buddy.

No reason to be bashful around here. If you have been lurking long you probably already know a lot of our idiosyncracies. :)

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom