Eager new guy seeking guidance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tank29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone! I have been lurking on your Swamp Diver board for a little while and I've finally gotten the courage to pipe up. Like the title says, I am extremely new to the sport; so new, that I haven't even finished my certification. However, I have twice done the silly discover scuba thing in the past (once in the Bahamas and once in Oahu) and from the get-go I was hooked. I am just now working on the cert, like I said, and kicking myself for taking so long in doing it.

One of the big questions I have had running through my mind since I've started this process, is how am I going to feed this budding addicition to scuba? I don't have the money to go to some island every month, but I will be disappointed if I'm not diving regularly (at least every month?).

So I thought I'd come here and ask you folks what are the options available to me to dive on a frequent, but relatively inexpensive basis? I am in the Clear Lake region of Houston and I am aware of the existance of Twin Lakes, but that's it. Can I really dive a lot without shelling out a ton of money to get to the water??

Please let me yes!!

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it!

tank

Tank, personally I hit Twin Lakes, Blue Lagoon, and soon Mamooth Lake (sp?) will open and provide one more local dive hole. Those are all within 2 hour drive of downtown Houston. State wide there are several lakes you can dive. My vacation dive trip is usually once a year and I try to dive Flower Gardens once or twice a year too. That is a relatively cheap dive trip. If you have any more questions drop me a line!

Hey you don't need courage to pipe up around here.....a strong stomach maybe :D

Sure lots of places to dive in our great state...we are lucky to live in the south were we can dive year around.....well except for me I am a Warm Water Wussy (WWW)...:wink: Lake Travis in Austin and Canyon Lake around New Braunfels....plus you have the Comal River and the San Marcos River 68-72 degrees year around....these are just a few hours away from Hou area...just keep watching this forum someone always wants to dive..Welcome to the Swamp

Hey tank, welcome to the Board! Lots of easy cheap easy fresh water to dive in around here, as noted.
I don't know if you have any equipment yet. But if you don't, buy what you can as you can afford to. Renting gets old and makes each dive trip cost that much more. Not to mention, when you own your own reg set-you know where that mouth piece has been! :0 Just my couple of cents.

Shag

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to look up the places everyone has mentioned so far, to get an idea of my options. I'm really excited that the answer wasn't "you're out of luck"!

Seeing as how starting gear was brought up, besides snorkel gear, what does everyone recommend as far as gear purchasing order? I don't think I can do it all at once; I will likely pick up my scuba gear a piece at a time. So should I start looking at BCDs, wetsuit, reg, comp, something else?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Oh yeah, when I get more experience, truely earning my Swamp Diver title in a non-scuba developed place sounds like fun, if a bit crazy. Is that still something that people here do? Just planning for the future....

tank

P.S. Oops, just noticed that I wasn't typing too well this morning.

tank29:
Please let me yes!!

Was supposed to be "Please let it be yes!!". I was sleepy.

As far as gear goes....renting is a good way to try out different brands....do some looking around at different dive shops....reading on some of the gear forums on this board....that will help in making a decision....as far as what to buy first...I don't know of course your reg guages and BC are the most necessary....so go from there...

no experience necessary to become a Swamp Diver just gotta go diving with one and your in....no secret hand shake:D The Houston group is usually pretty vocal on this board but I guess they are Christmas shopping haven't seen many of them around here but keep checking in....they sometimes have get togethers at Twin Lakes....

tank29:
Oh yeah, when I get more experience, truely earning my Swamp Diver title in a non-scuba developed place sounds like fun, if a bit crazy. Is that still something that people here do? Just planning for the future....

tank

Who you calling non-devoloped!:11doh:

On your other question, for winter diving in Texas first I look into a good fitting wet suit.

The adventure awaits you in Texas Lakes and in our neighbor states Ark. and OK. as well. Once you have your gear as long as you have a bit of gas money you can dive :D

Well maybe thats not totally true but as long as you don't plan to become a Blue Water Snob ( lame creatures that they are... :shakehead )
it's more like a bar tab actually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom