Eager new guy seeking equipment advice (mostly purchase order)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tank29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Alright, post #2! You guys should have told me there was a limit or something! :wink:

Now that I have a good deal of information on where I can dive in TX (and please keep those suggestions coming!), I'd like to get some advice on what equipment to dive with. I am on enough of a budget that I can't buy everything at once, so I need to do some strategic planning.

So, without further ado, what does everyone think in terms of equipment purchase order?

Getting a wetsuit first makes some sense to me. With the decent amount of temperature changes in TX, would that mean that I need to get a couple of wetsuits? Or are there options to find one wetsuit that will work in both summer and winter water temps?

Please help the newbie!!

Thanks everyone,
tank

If you're in Texas, I'd recommend dropping by Scuba Toys and talking to them (after you digest all the information that will follow shortly here). Those guys are knowledgable and will help set you up with what you want and need (don't forget to mention that you're a SB member for 10% off). Plus, I think they have a pool that you can test gear in before you decide to buy.

I'm in Houston, unfortunately. Maybe I'll try giving them a call.
It is strange to me that a couple of the well known scuba online stores are from land-locked DFW!

Check out my site if your looking for multiple suits. I have Akona suits buy one get any additional suits 40% off.....

Also, what other equipment are you looking to buy now? Or what are you thinking??

Thanks for the info on the store! I will be sure and check it out.

As far as what I am looking to buy, that's the advice I'm soliciting! I'm not sure the order to purchase my scuba gear (b/c I can't get it all at once), so any advice would be appreciated!

If you would kindly fill out your profile a little bit then people could do a lot more to help you. :wink:

OK......where will you be diving? Local? trips? etc.....I know this sounds bad, but what is your budget.....to be honest unless your going to buy alot of stuff with your wetsuit, I recommend to people to buy a wetsuit last....reason is that you want to be comfy when diving and use your own equipment. If I had a choice to rent either a regulator or a wetsuit in lets say.....Cozumel....I would rent the wetsuit....because I know there cant be too much that could go wrong with it......and if I have a bad breathing reg, it could ruin the whole dive....if I have a loose fitting suit....it probably isnt going to ruin the dive.....

If you could give some more info it might be easier to help :)

Wetsuits can get expensive... especially the good ones. If you're not going to dive all the time you should be able to get away with just renting a suit for a while.

I would recommend a good Regulator first...However some rental BC's are little questionable, and there have been instances of rental BC's being the culprit in diving accidents (I'm referring to those you might rent in foreign countries).

I'm assuming you already own Mask/Fins/Snorkel? Get a Reg w/ guages; then a BC; then maybe a computer.

Ok, thanks again for the advice! I am eagerly digesting it all. Keep it coming!

I will start a profile. I didn't know such a thing existed to list your equipment, but I will get right to it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom