E8 tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phillydiver

Reaction score
Iam seriously considering buying E8 tanks but wondering if shops do really fill them to 3442 psi oand if the din'yoke valve is really compatible with a fill of 3442 -it seemed like the valve is 200 bar which is contrary to a 3442 fill. thanks

Depends on the shop. Some shops around here give the full fill, others can't becuase their compressors aren't up to the task. The biggest shop around here sells PSTs and I have never seen or heard of them being able to give a full fill to one.

Precisely, it isn’t 200 bar, but 232 bar. So, it is ok.

The issue about a proper amount of refill has been covered here recently. It can be a big hassle when you want to have a proper refill for HP tanks.

Edit: not 230, 232 bar... precisely.....:)

phillydiver:
Iam seriously considering buying E8 tanks but wondering if shops do really fill them to 3442 psi oand if the din'yoke valve is really compatible with a fill of 3442 -it seemed like the valve is 200 bar which is contrary to a 3442 fill. thanks

It is possible to get a full fill at once. But, it takes a long time (25~30 min) for 130 CF tank. I used to have an air refill up to 3700 psi and then cool it down.

hex92:
Depends on the shop. Some shops around here give the full fill, others can't becuase their compressors aren't up to the task. The biggest shop around here sells PSTs and I have never seen or heard of them being able to give a full fill to one.

phillydiver:

I use both the 130's and 119's. The closest thing to a full fill was 3250 after it cooled down. Now I ask the shop to cool them and then top it up....if they'e not crazy busy that is...they are usually very cool with that.

i have e7s, but they get filled to the same pressure, and i've always goten a good fill..but then again i'm usually not waiting for the tanks, so they have time to let them cool..

mossym:
i have e7s, but they get filled to the same pressure, and i've always goten a good fill..but then again i'm usually not waiting for the tanks, so they have time to let them cool..
It's hit or miss for me. Some will work with them and other just fill and call it good. They don't seem to get the 70F part of 3442/70F. I've had some do top-offs when I was able to leave them. I'm running E7-80s

The owner of my primary shop dives HP steel so he's pretty good about it.

I've taken them home to find them cool at 2800-3800 PSI!

Pete

It also helps if you don't run your tank pressure down too low. I try to keep mine topped up so I don't have to do a full or near full fill. Keeps the time and the heating of the tanks down.

It's funny, and a little confusing, but the "Thermo" brand valves used are actually marked "200 bar" but are rated to the "new" maximum k-valve pressure of 232 bar. I guess they keep marking them "200 bar" to keep it simple, or because they are using the same stamp/mold?

What I have read is that the reason PST rated the E8's at 3442psi instead of 3500psi was to allow for the use of the pro K/DIN-valve. if E8's were rated 3500psi, then DIN-only valves would be required. But, someone at PST decided (wisely in my opinion) that more divers would be willing to sacrifice a few psi in order to be allowed to use their yoke regulators. DIN reg owners give up 58 psi - no big deal.

In the same article, I also read that almost all modern yoke equipment is able to handle 232 bar. You'd only have to be worried if you had a very old vintage reg that was made back when k-valves were delivering 1800psi, but that's an OLD regulator. I have seen a few and the yoke metal is noticeably thinner than my regs.

I still get short fills sometimes, but it's all the same. A 3000 filled to 2700, or a 3500 filled to 3200... there's only so much you can worry about. My LDS is good about filling, and will top them up after cooling if I can wait around for it.

My E7-80s have Themo-Ks and are 232 bar, in the casting. It's the divers resonsibility to make sure they have a 232 bar yoke on their regulator, they are out there. If they only have a 300 BAR yoke then you are right that the diver needs to accept a short fill, or take their chances.

When I first saw the tanks I was surprised they weren't just DIN but then learned about the 243 BAR yoke "loophole".

I avoided the issue and went DIN on our regulators. The downside is that all local fillers are on yoke so we need to put the donut in for fills or have them use their adapters. Since I have 4 cylinders and nobody has that many adapters I usually run the donuts in myself. I also do it in case someone at a shop isn't too good with threads. :11: And secondly when I travel we will need DIN--> yoke adapters. :06:

Pete

MrConclusion:
It's funny, and a little confusing, but the "Thermo" brand valves used are actually marked "200 bar" but are rated to the "new" maximum k-valve pressure of 232 bar. I guess they keep marking them "200 bar" to keep it simple, or because they are using the same stamp/mold?

What I have read is that the reason PST rated the E8's at 3442psi instead of 3500psi was to allow for the use of the pro K/DIN-valve. if E8's were rated 3500psi, then DIN-only valves would be required. But, someone at PST decided (wisely in my opinion) that more divers would be willing to sacrifice a few psi in order to be allowed to use their yoke regulators. DIN reg owners give up 58 psi - no big deal.

In the same article, I also read that almost all modern yoke equipment is able to handle 232 bar. You'd only have to be worried if you had a very old vintage reg that was made back when k-valves were delivering 1800psi, but that's an OLD regulator. I have seen a few and the yoke metal is noticeably thinner than my regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom