E-learning + 2 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pengwe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A friend of mine has signed up for this class. I seriously don't know how they can fit everything in. It must be all the pool work in one morning, then 2 OW dives in the afternoon. Then 2 more OW dives the next day. I suggested a longer class, but she's not interested; she's a busy woman.

I know I'm not the only one here who will be shaking their head over this kind of course. But I'd like to hear from divers who've done one. How did you go? Did you pick up the skills OK? How did you feel at the end of the class, confident and keen to dive, or uncertain or discouraged? Overall, are you happy with the experience?

pengwe, I have not done this type of training but have heard about it. They way I understood it was this, you do all your book work online (it may or may not include the final exam) once that is done you go and do your pool work over two days, than it is up to you to go at another time to do the OW training, but I am not sure. I believe there is a minimum amount of time you must be in the water to complete your OW skills (i.e. each open water dive (4 of them) you must be under for at least 20 minutes).

I just don't see how a student can get any help on a particular skill if there was an issue. In other words what if someone had difficulty clearing or was uncomfortable with it? With this tight schedule there wouldn't be much time for the instructor to work with that student.

Hellohello...

I've been lurking around SB for a handful of months now and I've seen this re-occuring topic mentioned, that being that OW "nowadays" has gotten shorter and shorter with corners being cut and Unsafe divers being produced...

But what I wanted to bring up was that on the LDS side of the fence we always hear that "OW classes are lossleaders" and its starting to sound alot like when they say "if you buy off the internet you'll die" kind of argument...

Shouldnt OW classes cost Less to the LDS nowadays since the classes ARE shorter? less instruction/less pooltime/fewer days = less staffing costs/air/etc. right ? Especially if the LDS has you doing half the course on your own at home (with an instructional package they sell you for an additional cost btw).

So , in short, shorter classes may be bad for the novice student diver, but good for the LDS' bottomline.

A friend of mine has signed up for this class. I seriously don't know how they can fit everything in.

The can fit everything it...it's just that there isn't much of it.

I have very mixed feelings about the new "online" classes. Having worked at an LDS for awhile, I did learn that many people don't get certified because they can't get 2 weekends off in a row, or they have childcare issues, etc. So in a way, this method helps those people who can sit at home, any hour of the day or night, and log onto their computer and do the classroom part. Some people are just better at computers than they are in a classroom setting too.
On the other hand, I think it gives some people the impression that scuba certification is no big deal, you can even do it online. So i don't like that.
My husband is an instructor, so having seen his classroom teaching methods as an observer and experienced diver, I would want to be in his class as he gives so much information NOT in the book. He discusses much of his own personal experience and things he has learned as a diver. He knows how to get people fired up and excited about diving. You can't get that online either.

Just my 2 cents.

robin:D

I completed a workbook and then spent time in a classroom with an instructor and other students for my OW. I simply filled out the workbook and went diving for my Advanced certification, but that was fine, I was already diving. But I look back and can't imagine not having the benefit of that classroom time with an instructor and other students for my OW. I was brand new to diving and I sincerely believe it was a huge advantage to talk with an experienced diver (the instructor). Not only to ask my own questions but to hear the questions of other students...and all this before we even got in the pool. Again, I can't imagine answer questions on-line and then just gearing up and jumping in. Even after all that classroom time, the first time I stuck a regulator in my mouth, in the pool mind you, and submerged, I popped right back to the surface. Now, I'm a "macho man" so I felt embarassed. That is, until I looked down the line and saw all of my fellow students had done the same thing.

You might be able to get a "college degree" on line, but you don't risk your life in doing it.

It won't be long and the class will go something like this.

Hello I am your scuba instructor. Here is your equipment. There is the water. And here is your water proof book. Read the first chapter. Put your equipment on. Read chapter two. Get into the water. Read the book underwater. Sign your name. Get out of the water. Get your picture taken. Pick up your ACME Pro Master Under Water card at the end of the line. Have a great day!

I guess you can tell I'm not a big fan of this. We as a dive community sometimes do take some things a little more extreme then we probably have too. But I think the open water coarse is the most important of all. This is where you get (as a rec diver) your most important information on how to dive,IE. what to do and what NOT to do. Granted this info seems fundamentally easy now. But if it wasn't beatin into your head before you could just go out and dive. (with the new buddy you just met in class) It may not have been retained.

All in all, it worrys me to see these short classes.

By the way my class was six weeks long. I agree that may have been a little to much, however a weekend coarse is for learning to golf.

Side note my golf game needs the six week coarse!

Just my 2 psi.

It won't be long and the class will go something like this.

Hello I am your scuba instructor. Here is your equipment. There is the water. And here is your water proof book. Read the first chapter. Put your equipment on. Read chapter two. Get into the water. Read the book underwater. Sign your name. Get out of the water. Get your picture taken. Pick up your ACME Pro Master Under Water card at the end of the line. Have a great day!

I guess you can tell I'm not a big fan of this. We as a dive community sometimes do take some things a little more extreme then we probably have too. But I think the open water coarse is the most important of all. This is where you get (as a rec diver) your most important information on how to dive,IE. what to do and what NOT to do. Granted this info seems fundamentally easy now. But if it wasn't beatin into your head before you could just go out and dive. (with the new buddy you just met in class) It may not have been retained.

All in all, it worrys me to see these short classes.

By the way my class was six weeks long. I agree that may have been a little to much, however a weekend coarse is for learning to golf.

Side note my golf game needs the six week coarse!

Just my 2 psi.

I agree with you ---- in our "instant gratification" society though, its going to happen eventually. My general thought is that the people who do the class like this will only dive once and quit, its too much work. General statistics say that 90% of all people who get certified actually do less than 50 dives total. People who really want to learn to dive will most likely take the full class so they can "learn".

Just my 2 cents

robin:D

Hellohello...

I've been lurking around SB for a handful of months now and I've seen this re-occuring topic mentioned, that being that OW "nowadays" has gotten shorter and shorter with corners being cut and Unsafe divers being produced...

But what I wanted to bring up was that on the LDS side of the fence we always hear that "OW classes are lossleaders" and its starting to sound alot like when they say "if you buy off the internet you'll die" kind of argument...

Shouldnt OW classes cost Less to the LDS nowadays since the classes ARE shorter? less instruction/less pooltime/fewer days = less staffing costs/air/etc. right ? Especially if the LDS has you doing half the course on your own at home (with an instructional package they sell you for an additional cost btw).

So , in short, shorter classes may be bad for the novice student diver, but good for the LDS' bottomline.

In short, not good for the LDS if maybe half their customers(used to be 'short taught students') DIE from improper training........-------LOL....This is the other way to look @ it I guess........

In short, not good for the LDS if maybe half their customers(used to be 'short taught students') DIE from improper training........-------LOL....This is the other way to look @ it I guess........

I'm not a fan of the insta-card, but let's not overstate the case. If anywhere near that many students were dying, the LDS would be closed, and the agency would be forced to change their standards. They're haven't been, and they're unlikely to.

It's very possible, though, that the discomfort in the water that comes from not being thoroughly trained may well cause many students to stop diving. That can't be good for the LDS either...

Back
Top Bottom