E-119 (Pro's - Con's)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
Want something that will help me take advantage of the extended bottom times of Nitrox. I was in a quandry whether to go the 119 or 130 route.

My motivation is the same. Either tank (119/130) loaded with Nitrox will run you out of no deco time or at least put you into terminal boredom well in advance of running out of gas, and with a little care will make for 2 nice [shorter] dives on a single fill. A further note - I [usually] dive mine with a 30 cu ft pony full of air (safety only - I never touch it) - so the extra 11 cubes of the 130 is really not worth the extra weight.

Either way it's a highly subjective decision and either way you'll be happy - higher-volume steel tanks are just plain nice to dive with.

BTW - how do you like your PST 80's? Been thinking of getting either an 80 or 100 to do shallow puddle diving - like the idea of leaving the lead at home with the AL 80's.

Tom

jonnythan:
Everyone convinced me not to get them as they're too short to trim out properly.

Someone else on the board likened the 119's to the not so cute girl you hit up on prom night then dumped, whereas the 130's are the prom queen who loves you forever.

Johnnythan - you are dispensing this advice without trying them (the tanks - not the prom girls) and knowing first hand how they perform?

I have a bunch of 130's and two single 119's. Can't say how many dives I've got on each, but I've got a bit over 150 dives in so far this year. Both sizes perform very well. I have a long torso so, I used find that the balance is just a tad better with the 130's, because they are slightly longer. In all honesty though, I really can't tell them apart when diving with them now. Performance wise there is little difference.

I like having lots of back gas on dives in the 120'-130' range so for that I choose a 130. I know I should be diving doubles for those dives... On shallower dives though the 119's are just fine. I still get hour plus dives on these tanks with plenty to spare going to 115' or so. Can't remember when I didn't come up with well more than rock bottom.

Kracken - with your size the 119's will be plenty long enough and will fit you well. That said you won't go wrong with the 130's either. Buy the 130's if you don't like them I know a bunch of divers out here that would love them!

OE2X:
Johnnythan - you are dispensing this advice without trying them (the tanks - not the prom girls) and knowing first hand how they perform?

Yup. And I'm very up front and clear on that fact :wink:

Just trying to help out by repeating the advice I've heard repeatedly from some people I trust a great deal. That's all :)

I figure the folks who take advice they get on the internet from someone whose only experience is the internet deserve the advice they get.

The problem with the above is that it is hard for folks to tell who only has internet experience when the bluff is soooo filled with the right kind of talk.

I know a fella on rec.scuba who has every one cowed... they all think he is the supreme diver. I've met him. :D What a joke.

So if you don't want the joke to be on you... then be careful whose advice you pay attention to.

I have E-8 119s and haven't had any problem with trim. I'm 5'5" and it is pretty nice to have the stubby bottles for my stubby bod. The biggest problem with PST is that you can't get 'em right now.

As far as the prom queen... they cost a lot of money and a lot of them don't age well. I'll take the "not so cute" one any time, they are much more fun and less maintainance! Now if I can just find one that dives....

Toby

jonnythan:
Everyone convinced me not to get them as they're too short to trim out properly.

Someone else on the board likened the 119's to the not so cute girl you hit up on prom night then dumped, whereas the 130's are the prom queen who loves you forever.
Remember the CG drill from your DIRf class, jonnythan? There's a reason it's taught :wink:

I've dove the LP72, LPsteel80, E119, E130, HP100, HP120, Al80, doubled LP104's or HP120's... trim is do-able if you compensate for the tank(s) you are diving...

OK, all you guys get of Johnnythan now . . .
Yes, he can be a pain in the a$$ from time to time, but can't we all???
Well, I think I'm going with the 119.

On the subject of the E-80's, we love them, easy to handle, negatively buoyant, trim out nicely . . . dropped another 5 pounds off my belt in my heavy wet suit.

I know, I was just jerking Johnnythan's chain.

Sometimes he'll rise to the fly quite quickly . . . especially when there's a good hatch going on!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom