Dyeing BC embroidery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShoalDiverSA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Introduction

I have searched for this topic on other threads, but have only found a thread on dyeing the entire BC.

This weekend I did my community service thing and volunteered to clean the local Aquarium's Dolphin pools. Two and a half hour's sweeping later I was pretty exhausted, blistered and was the proud owner of a partially bleached BC.

Problem

The embroidery on my BC pockets and epaulettes has been partially bleached by the chlorinated water. The BC material is fine. I was wondering if there would be any way to re-dye the embroidery without having to boil the entire BC. I suppose it is not the end of the world, but my BC went from looking brand new (after 2 years of diving) to looking like I bought it at a second-hand store.;-0

The text is black and the logo is yellow (Poseidon BC). I thought of using a permanent ink marker, but I think this may look a bit ugly.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Andrew

Chlorine in a fish tank? That surprises me. I have tried to dye embroidery on a duffel bag with a permenant marker and it looked good, at first. After I washed the bag a few times it was partialy gone and looked real bad. I redid it with a laundry marker and that lasted alot longer. The markers only come in black and white.
Boats

Since dolphins don't have gills, I don't see why chlorine would be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom