Dx-1200hd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SynCitizen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking for some unbiased reviews by people that own this camera as I have a couple questions.

Battery life: I know its a completely different camera, but I have been reading some horrible things about battery life with other models. This camera is supposed to be capable of 100+ minute of HD video on a single 8gb card and was wondering if battery life would even allow that on one charge.

External strobe: What strobes are compatible with this camera and do strobes also have an option for always on to shoot video with? Or does that require a different type of light?

Is this a suitable camera: I am just looking at getting vacation quality photos and some nice video. Caribbean, local lakes, So-Cal are my intended destinations. Would be adding strobe in the near future.

Thanks for any info as this is not a cheap camera and I would hate to waste that amount of money on device.

As of right now, I cannot attest to exact specs. I will be taking one to Tahiti next week to do some testing with it and will report back, along with some pics.

With regards to strobes, the camera is designed to work with any of the S&S strobes that offer fiber optic connection (YS-17, YS-27, YS-110, YS-110a, YS-250). I will be shooting it with the new YS-110 Alpha next week.

H20-

I'm very interested to hear about your experience with the DX1200 as well. We appreciate anything you have to share.

Thanks.

SynCitizen-

Unless you're in shallow water with good viz and sunlight, you will need a light source for video. Video does require a different light source than still photography as you need a constant light source. For Sea and Sea, that is the LX series of lights.

-S

Would a primary dive light be of any help for video shooting during the day (and night)?

BTW I did pick up this camera and will be heading to Cozumel dec 3rd to test it out above and below the water. Unfortunately I do not have a strobe at this time so I will be working with the built in flash.. ugh.

Last edited:
So how was the trip with the DX?

It's better than the internal flash or nothing, but it usually too narrow of beam and often not the right color. Some dive lights come with a diffuser that you can place over the face to make it more suitable to this task.

H2O-

What did you find with the DX1200? It would be great if you could share your experiences with it.

-S

I am looking for some unbiased reviews by people that own this camera as I have a couple questions.

Battery life: I know its a completely different camera, but I have been reading some horrible things about battery life with other models. This camera is supposed to be capable of 100+ minute of HD video on a single 8gb card and was wondering if battery life would even allow that on one charge.
I missed this earlier but since it has been bumped - you are speaking of a Sea & Sea camera, is that correct? If so, that's a different company and you would get more replies in the general Photography forum I think? I'll see about moving it.
External strobe: What strobes are compatible with this camera and do strobes also have an option for always on to shoot video with? Or does that require a different type of light?
What we often call a strobe is really an External Flash and I don't think it will be of any help on video. It flashes, not shining constantly.

Shooting video with a digital camera can be fun. I have several diving and non-diving fun vids I have shot with my Sealife @ 640x480 but I see this one is capable for wide screen 1280x760 with an 8 Gb card and a 3" viewing screen. Sweet! Whatever you can see in the screen will be on your card. Whether you have enough light or not depends on the conditions but may well work in shallow dives and swims. It'll probly work as good as you can get for the $600 price tag on a new model. Don't use the smaller video or still options; always shoot in highest possible.
Is this a suitable camera: I am just looking at getting vacation quality photos and some nice video. Caribbean, local lakes, So-Cal are my intended destinations. Would be adding strobe in the near future.
Haha, I am not one to suggest any camera to a diver with less than 50 logged, but if you want to get into cameras - looks like a nice one. You'll either learn with modern quality or you'll have a modern camera for Ebay. :eyebrow:
Thanks for any info as this is not a cheap camera and I would hate to waste that amount of money on device.
Nope, and you will need to stobe/external flash when you're ready to work with it; I waited much too long to start using one. Camera & strobe seems to be $1,000. INSURE IT WELL! Don't even think of getting it without coverage. I like State Farm's "Personal Articles" policy, aka Inland Marine far better than Depp or Dan's equipment plans.

I got my 8 Gb card here for $15.50 delivered: 8GB Secure Digital Memory Cards You'll probly want a spare battery and may need a alternate charger, whatever they cost.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been moved out of the Sealife forum. The Dx-1200hd is in fact a Sea&Sea product.

Have fun

Hi guys. Sorry for not responding sooner.

I shot the 1200HD on 3 dives in French Polynesia. It was set up with the YS-110 and I carried the wide angle lens with me as well. The camera itself was very easy to use and control. I found that in the warm clear waters without the wide angle lens, I was using the 110 at half power so as not to overexpose.

One thing to particularly note, was the shutter lag. Although it was not a problem on macro and reef shots, I was there to shoot the sharks. I of course used the wide angle lens for the sharks, but did find capturing them either in frame or without blur was a bit difficult. I am an SLR shooter and a video shooter, so I am not going to lie, I do get frustrated with shutter lag quite easily. That being said, I switched it into video mode and shot a couple of clips. The video mode worked well.

All in all, it is a great camera system for the price. It was very compact and easy to use, exactly what a first time shooter needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom