Dutchsprings April 28 in wetsuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutch charts list temps at around 50 degrees at that time of the year. I will be doing a dive at Duth the weekend before but I will be doing dry. I think its very brave of you to try in a wetsuit.

DUI Demo days at Dutch Springs is May 19 and 20.
Come on down and dive dry with us!! You'll be much happier than in a wetsuit!!

There will definitely be some people that will be diving wet. Make sure and bring a good coat and some warm beverages. Hopefully the air temp will be warm enough. the worst is when ya get out of the H2O.

WetFatCat:
Is it absolutely crazy idea to dive at Dutch in wetsuit on April 28?
Does somebody do this?
You will definately earn the nickname SPOT

Also unless we have a real warm spell I wouldnt count on the surface being 50g.. The air temp has been belolw freezing the last few days..

Deeper than 20-25ft I would expect the water to be around 40 degrees

Do people do it? = Yes! (Even in the dead of winter I have seen people diving wet.)

Could you do it? = Hard to say. If you can take the cold, prewarm you wetsuit, hood, gloves, & booties than sure, why not. Keep moving in the water at a good clip. Do not hesitate to call the dive if you feel off.

Would I do it? = No! I have gotten so bad I don't even like diving in that cold of water in my drysuit.

I'm not that well insulated and I dive dry at dutch in the heat of the summer. There is no way I would dive wet at the end of April, but that's me...

It doesn't quite matter what the weather is topside, the water temp at depth is still going to be cold especially if you are not moving much down there (sitting on platforms for certifcations etc.) Bring warm clothes to change into and you'll be fine.

Its doable but all depends on your comfrot level. Last week we did a dive at bainbridge to 100 feet temp was 39 and the dive lasted about 40 minutes. There was two guys with me in wetsuits and both where ok till the last 10 minutes or so fo the dive. Dutch usally gets warmer faster and stays warmer longer then the rest of the PA quarries.

i've done dives at dutch in the end of november in a 5ml.

coldest i've ever been...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom