Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bison

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been looking into Dutch Springs. Any of you guys dive there? Is it a good place for camping and diving?

It's not too bad. It's a pretty large quarry. It stays cold year round. Vis can be okay depending on the number of OW classes on their knees on the bottom!

I personally like Lake Rawlings, VA better but it may be a haul for you, not sure of your location.

It's fun every now and then, and it's a nice safe place to try out big gear changes since the dives are so easy and the conditions never change. Gets kinda boring if you go there more than a couple times a year, but it's a nice because you have tables and stuff to hang out with buddies during the SI's.. no need to park down the road and hang out at the McDonald's or drive in between dives or anything like that. Good place to be social. Once you've seen all the stuff in the quarry, the dives themselves get pretty old.

Pretty much feel the same as the Jons!!! It's more about the hang in between dives. Pretty much already seen it all.

A bunch of us are probably camping there opening weekend.

If you get in the water early (8am weekends & 10am weekdays) before the classes get going the viz is pretty good head to the pump station the OW classes don't go near there...
Bring your exposure gear... around may surface is around 50 with thermoclines every 20 feet or so.

Been there once last summer. Went mid week, no crowds and great viz. Planning to go once or twice this summer, but I think I'll stick to weekdays. From what I've heard it can be mobbed on weekends.

You know, everybody says the water there is cold... but I went there when my ex got certified in May of 2003, and the water was about 52* at the pump house... It was about 51* in the hole in September of 2004.

And yes, a few of us are camping out opening weekend :)

What is considered "opening weekend"? The first weekend of April? Anyway I am going to be there the last weekend of April and will be camping. I went down in July last year for the first time and had a blast. I would like to find someone to dive with Friday late afternoon this time. I paid for Friday and ended up not finding anyone. I definitely enjoyed camping and hanging out there.

rje634:
If you get in the water early (8am weekends & 10am weekdays) before the classes get going the viz is pretty good head to the pump station the OW classes don't go near there......[snip]............

Shhh........don't let too many people know about the pump house!! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom