Dutch Springs First time - hotel recommendation pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maniago

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Wife and I bought X7-100s and thought we would try them out first at Dutch on a Wednesday, probably mid next month. Not been there before being newbees and all. I thought we might drive up Tues night, hotel, dive Weds then come back, since we'll be doing a lot of firsts.

Any gouge on the hotels there? We don't need the roach motel, but we're not going to do the $220 per night B&B either.
Who likes what and why?

Also how does it work with hauling gear from the parking lots? I read their FAQ page, but a little experienced "tricks of the trade" info would be nice. Thanks

On a wednesday at dutch you will probably be able to park down at the entry areas and leave your vehicle there. If not your allowed to do so you can drive down to them and unload and then go park your vehicle. Ive never looked into hotels in the area as I only live 25 minutes away but there are Holiday Inns and Comfort Inns in the Easton Pennsylvania are and that would make your drive about 10-15 minutes. I just Expedia'd them and they were about $60-100 a night.

The closest hotel is a Comfort Inn. Bethlehem Pennsylvania Hotel, Comfort Inn, Hotels near Dutch Springs PA

On a weekday, you will have no parking problems. Drive to one of the two entry areas, pick out a picnic table, unload your gear and dive. You won't have to haul gear at all.

Its harder on the weekends due to the number of divers and weekend parking restrictions. Let me know if you need more info.

I live close enough that I haul myself and gear back and forth from home, but have a number of buddies that do get hotel rooms. Often they use hotwire.com to get their rooms cheap. They typically are in the Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express or similar. No dives. Just make sure you put the full address for Dutch Springs into your search, not just the city or zip.

We use the Holiday Inn Express the # is 610 882 2255 ask for natisha
GO DIVE

Wife and I bought X7-100s and thought we would try them out first at Dutch on a Wednesday, probably mid next month. Not been there before being newbees and all. I thought we might drive up Tues night, hotel, dive Weds then come back, since we'll be doing a lot of firsts.

Any gouge on the hotels there? We don't need the roach motel, but we're not going to do the $220 per night B&B either.
Who likes what and why?

Also how does it work with hauling gear from the parking lots? I read their FAQ page, but a little experienced "tricks of the trade" info would be nice. Thanks

Comfort Inn and Best Western both have Dutch Spring Specials, and if my memory serves me correct, it was $79.99/night for the room. When you book, ask the hotel about the Dutch Spring Special. Holiday Inn Express is my favorite in that area because the rooms, beds, pillows, and towels are better than the Comfort Inn and Best Western. I've never seen a roach in any of the hotels at Dutch (Comfort Inn, Best Western, Holiday Inn)

Buddies and I use Priceline.com to bid for hotel rooms in the Dutch Spring area. We have gotten rooms for as low at $40 - $65/night but never at the height of the high summer tourist season. The only problem with Priceline.com is that depending on what rooms are not sold by the hotel you could get stuck with a smoking room. It's happened to us on a few occasions. When you bid, you can't pick your actual hotel but can pick its location and its star rating.

As for hauling gear at Dutch, you can drive down to the lower picnic table area to unload but must move your car up to the parking lot area by the bath house. Instructors are allowed to park in the lower picnic table area but us minions are allowed to park in the lower picnic area without being asked to move our vehicle when it's not busy at Dutch, i.e., week day or a sloooooow weekend.

As other stated during the week you can park down at dive site on Peninsula side basically back your vehicle right up to the tables and unload suit up and happy diving.... Dutchsprings is a great place to practice and get some fun dives in. Very clean and nice place. I stayed at one of the local hotels (best western maybe) and it was decent. Here is a map of Dutch and has all the attractions as well as the heading to and from the the sunken sights the yellow/'black lines on the map are actual ropes you can follow from thing to the next. If there is no line on the map you will need to use headings which are labeled to each thing. If you would like a better quality pic of the map PM your email address and Ill email it you. Enjoy

Dutch%20Springs%20Chart%2010-2008%20v3%20low%20res.jpg

Super! Thanks everyone.

One follow up...if you drop your gear and repark, can you leave a gear box (ie wetsuits, food inside etal) at the tables while you dive? I'm just trying to get an idea of if I can wetsuit-up/down there or have to do it at the car ie walk it - same concept with trimming our weights (hop out of the water, retrim at the box and hop back in OR de-gear walk up to the car, back down, re-gear etc etc) Not a huge deal, just wanna know so I don't violate the protocol. Thanks

Super! Thanks everyone.

One follow up...if you drop your gear and repark, can you leave a gear box (ie wetsuits, food inside etal) at the tables while you dive? I'm just trying to get an idea of if I can wetsuit-up/down there or have to do it at the car ie walk it - same concept with trimming our weights (hop out of the water, retrim at the box and hop back in OR de-gear walk up to the car, back down, re-gear etc etc) Not a huge deal, just wanna know so I don't violate the protocol. Thanks

People leave tons of stuff on the tables, it is safe. While I would make sure not to leave your wallet on top of your gear pile, everything should be safe. I have been going for years and never had anything walk. For weighting, there are platforms on the surface at the entrance ramps. It is very easy to bring you weight bag down to the platform, do all your adjustments and leave the bag there during the dive. I've done that many times as well.

People leave tons of stuff on the tables, it is safe. While I would make sure not to leave your wallet on top of your gear pile, everything should be safe. I have been going for years and never had anything walk. For weighting, there are platforms on the surface at the entrance ramps. It is very easy to bring you weight bag down to the platform, do all your adjustments and leave the bag there during the dive. I've done that many times as well.

Great! Thanks. Sounds like a super friendly place. I look forward to blowing bubbles there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom