Dutch Springs - first time drysuit diver undergarment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericg753

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I have a DUI CF200x drysuit, haven't purchased the undergarment yet. I'm doing 2 dives this coming Sunday and would like to know the equivalent in street clothes needed for the thickness undergarment you would typically use at Dutch this time of year.

I am wearing Under Armour top and bottom undergarment that wicks away perspiration, as well as a pair of cotton sweatpants and sweatshirt. Will this be enough to hit the 1st and 2nd thermocline? Or should I add another layer of sweatpants and sweater under the sweatshirt?

Yes I know, I need to buy the actual drysuit undergarment. Haven't gotten around to it as I am now being trained, this is my next investment and I am a big guy, so rental undergarment most likely may not fit.

1 pair of sweats should be fine for the 1st thermocline and ok for the 2nd--it depends on your individual cold tolerance and how long you stay down.

I dive Dutch Springs regularly and use a 200gram 2 piece undergarment (DUI) and am comfortable to 2nd thermocline- which is usually high 40's. If surface is in 30's I switch to my fourth element Artic undergarments and am sweating...

I dive Dutch Springs regularly and use a 200gram 2 piece undergarment (DUI) and am comfortable to 2nd thermocline- which is usually high 40's. If surface is in 30's I switch to my fourth element Artic undergarments and am sweating...

The XM250 jumpsuit? Xm250 Jumpsuit

XM450 is 400 grams. What is your 4th Element Artic rated? How are their prices compared to DUI?

Is that bad? Sorry I'm a newbie at this :(

In your specific case, it's probably much ado about nothing. :poke:

More generally, though, the advice is to avoid cotton undergarments because when they get wet, they lose their ability to insulate against cold a lot more than certain synthetics and wool, which will still provide some insulation even if they get wet.

But again, you would hardly be the first person to dive in sweats because they're cheap and they're what you've got handy at the moment. Sounds like you plan to get a proper undergarment as soon as possible.

In your specific case, it's probably much ado about nothing. :poke:

More generally, though, the advice is to avoid cotton undergarments because when they get wet, they lose their ability to insulate against cold a lot more than certain synthetics and wool, which will still provide some insulation even if they get wet.

But again, you would hardly be the first person to dive in sweats because they're cheap and they're what you've got handy at the moment. Sounds like you plan to get a proper undergarment as soon as possible.

Hopefully I won't have any leaks on Sunday and can get by with my sweatpants and sweatshirts. I'm going to immediately invest in undergarments post-cert dives so I can put my recent training and knowledge to use and not "forget".

I hear you can get same quality undergarments (and other gear) from OMS and pay a fraction of the cost of me going straight to DUI?

Hopefully I won't have any leaks on Sunday and can get by with my sweatpants and sweatshirts. I'm going to immediately invest in undergarments post-cert dives so I can put my recent training and knowledge to use and not "forget".

I hear you can get same quality undergarments (and other gear) from OMS and pay a fraction of the cost of me going straight to DUI?

Check the eBay seller "rondel101bjrr" before you buy anything. NY/NJ based (IIRC) and primarily sells wholesale to other labels. The double-stretch polyester fleece onesies are a great

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom