Dutch Springs - first time drysuit diver undergarment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The XM250 jumpsuit? Xm250 Jumpsuit

XM450 is 400 grams. What is your 4th Element Artic rated? How are their prices compared to DUI?
to me Fourth Element is the best undergarment I have ever used and the Artic series is rated for 30 degrees water-farmer john setup but warm as hell.

Hopefully I won't have any leaks on Sunday and can get by with my sweatpants and sweatshirts. I'm going to immediately invest in undergarments post-cert dives so I can put my recent training and knowledge to use and not "forget".

I hear you can get same quality undergarments (and other gear) from OMS and pay a fraction of the cost of me going straight to DUI?
you will be fine diving to first thermocline which is usually around 35 feet, but 2nd thermocline which is around 70 feet you will be cold.....

Hopefully I won't have any leaks on Sunday and can get by with my sweatpants and sweatshirts. I'm going to immediately invest in undergarments post-cert dives so I can put my recent training and knowledge to use and not "forget".

I hear you can get same quality undergarments (and other gear) from OMS and pay a fraction of the cost of me going straight to DUI?

Anything polyester fleece will work. Do you have any outdoors gear? Check out REI or similar if you don't. A lot of the guys here swear by merino wool for a base layer.

A lot of the guys here swear by merino wool for a base layer.
I'm one of them.

Fleece midlayers can work in moderately cold water. However, the typical undergarments seen around here are one-piece undersuits with e.g. thinsulate. Add your personal choice of baselayer (as I said, I swear by wool, others may prefer polypropylene or quality polyester, but no matter what you do, avoid cotton like the plague) and you're good to go well into the single digits (C). If the water is in the low single digits, you may want to add some kind of midlayer between the baselayer and the undersuit. Again, I prefer wool, but a thin fleece long-sleeved t-shirt can work, too.

My undersuit is a 200 gsm thinsulate thing with fleece on the inside. With that, a merino baselayer and a thin wool shirt or two I've done 45-55 minute dives in 3-4C water without getting cold anywhere but my face and my fingertips.

BTW, a properly snug high quality hood is essential in cold water. I'm very happy with my Waterproof hoods, but I'm certain there are others which are just as good

Base layer is going to help, but even with no leaks, you will have lots of moisture "in the bag".
I went thru non-dive fleeces, sewed in loops, velcro patches, etc. I was surprised at how much adding dive specific garments reduced nagging bunching, don/doff hassles, etc.
I had very good success with 4th Element - Arctic and Exotherm (individual and together).
I also use UA base.

Back
Top Bottom