Dutch Springs - First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenDiver.3D: Congratulations on your new avatar. :shocked: :clapping: I truly never know what to expect from you! And I consider myself hard to surprise. :)

This is way off-topic but who cares, this thread melted down long ago. From several PM's she shared, BlondMermaid is not nearly as prickly as she comes across in this thread. Acually, quite interesting. Unfortunately, I can't share anything in public, they were PM's and I respect the "Personal" part of PM. Lots of room in SB for someone with a "strong personality", -as if there aren't any others...

However, a line was crossed. Based solely on BlondMermaid's public posts, I have to side with the ragged collection of posters that voiced an objection. One side or the other, no wusses.

BlondMermaid: So why don't you let us know a bit more about yourself and what you do for a living? May help to define you.
lowviz
Thanks. I do my best.

As to the OP, I think she would have been well received by simply asking for impressions and reports of DS from the board. The post was really trollish and seemed designed to insult.
I am a Savannah Ga. girl, and a UGA girl, at that. I think she tried too hard for the Scarlet tone, and it made a bad impression. If you have seen different, thanks for telling us. I am always willing to give people fresh chances.

...........Suppose to go to Willow Springs for Labor Day weekend. I don't think the visibility is quite the same.

Polar opposites. Don't forget to buy one of their "Night Diving all Day Long" T-shirts. I like the place and staff a lot, but the viz is nothing like Dutch so keep expectations in check. Bring a good light or two.

If you are a solid diver and don't know the place, surface swim to the mast sticking out of the water. Take a compass reading of where you want to exit after your dive. Descend onto the Quest, have fun inside and out, and navigate back to your exit underwater. First timers often get lost navigating to the Quest, easier to nav back. The crane off the cement dock is also interesting. :wink:

Did my OWD at Dutch Springs. Lots and lots to do there and see underwater. Clean, can camp overnight, and has a snack bar. Was a little disappointed with their Tshirt/dive shop, but I went during the beginning of the season in May 2012. Will write back as I go throughout this summer and anything changes. For new divers...especially ones who want to continue their education and certifications. Dutch Springs is offering a "New Diver" discount for their season pass 2012. The annual fee is $270 for a pass. However, for a new diver who certs the weekend there, they back out your weekend dive ($70) that you paid, if you camped over night ($10) they back that out, and give you another discount...for a total cost of $148 for the 2012 season pass. You dont have to have a hard card...just your paper cert your instructor puts on your logbook, and tickets for Sat/Sun dive, camping receipt, ect...

Since I am going for my AOWD, and rescue diver, for me this was a no brainer. If you dive there two weekends, you'll end up coughing up $140 anyway. Dutch Springs also has a water park (was closed until Memorial day) and swimming for kids or family members who dont dive...but you want to go together as a family. I cant really say much about the water park because it was closed....and maybe why it wasnt as crowded as the OP reported. The snack bar is expensive in my opinion, but your allowed to bring in food and coolers (My DS brought in a grill), so what the big problem? For more info, go to...

Dutch Springs
Like I said, I had a blast here for a new diver.

---------- Post added ----------

I'm sorry if I have misunderstood the OP, and I'm sorry that she felt that the $19 was too much for admission. DS has that lower price for non-divers. If it was much lower the place would probably be overrun with kids looking for a cheap pool to beat the heat. The $19 fee is primarily aimed at the non diving family of people who are using the facility for it's primary purpose (diving), I assume.

Exactly! I would rather pay the fee to keep the crowd down, and vis clearer

I just wanted to throw my experience in here as well. I took my OW cert here earlier this month. The amount of divers there on both Sat/Sun was staggering. I'd estimate 100-200 possibly? ALL the parking was taken, plus field parking. Every spot of grass was being occupied as well. Thankfully my LDS got there on Friday night and camped, so we had a great spot for our tents. The staff was all friendly and never had an issue when obtaining air fill vouchers, air fills, or with the staff around the staging area. The water was COLD, though air temps were in the 80's-90's. The water temp was somewhat of a shock at first - 64* at the surface, 58* at 40'. Prior to this my only "dives" were in 75* pool water. With a 7 mil wetsuit, gloves and a hood I was fine after about 2-3 minutes in the water. Made the mistake of going hoodless on Sunday and had a wicked "headache" from the cold under water. That went away when I surfaced.

At depth it was pretty clear, 15-30' vis. At the firetruck it seemed like 3 groups all met at once. This caused the vis to drop to around 1', which was interesting. I just hovered there and waited for it to clear, which it did. Another time at the fire truck there were a few fish who wanted a closer look at us. One swam right up to me, probably 1' from my face, staring at me the whole time. It was amusing. Also saw several other small to very large fish (3'+ carp?), among other underwater life. All in all it was a fun experience. I plan not to dive there again, unless it's September/August. Even then, I don't feel like I'll really enjoy it all that much due to the cold and diver activity. Can't wait for my first warm Ocean dive this summer in Bonaire!

Here are my photos from Dutch Springs during that weekend (copied from my newb thread)...

This photo was taken at 4:30 on Saturday, just before our 3rd dive of the day. You need to be under the surface by 5pm on Sat at the latest. This is why not many divers are in the photo as most had left in the early afternoon:
IMAG1956-L.jpg

IMAG1953-L.jpg

IMAG1963-L.jpg

IMAG1965-L.jpg

Do you mean you have to be underwater by 5pm if not night diving? I did a night dive last weekend and earliest in water was 8pm and latest in was 9pm and had to be out by 10pm

Do you mean you have to be underwater by 5pm if not night diving? I did a night dive last weekend and earliest in water was 8pm and latest in was 9pm and had to be out by 10pm

Correct. Daytime dives must be under water by 5pm.

As a new diver, I must say I particularly enjoyed diving at Dutch.

First of all, I went with my LDS for my open water dives. The staff was friendly and I bought my season pass, set up gear, and was ready for my first briefing at 9:00 am.

Other than carrying 75 lbs. of gear down the steep hill in 100 degree weather wearing a 7mm wetsuit, the experience was great. I was warned that the visibility could be next to nil, I was pleasantly surprised to see how clear the water was at first. Only the afternoon of my second day did the visibility become so bad that I opted not to make a third dive. Albeit, there were a LOT of new students diving in the shallow areas of Dutch.

I didn't run into any issues with traffic around the entrance, exits. I stepped aside to let a few students don their fins before stepping in. Other than that, the instructors and students were courteous enough to enter and exit quickly to prevent anyone from waiting too long.

Long story short, I'm glad I bought the season pass. I definitely forsee myself spending plenty of time there.

After you struggle into your wetsuit, go get wet - let some cool water in your neck seal. When you have cooled down, make the gear haul. I have seen some near heat strokes when it gets really hot.

After you struggle into your wetsuit, go get wet - let some cool water in your neck seal. When you have cooled down, make the gear haul. I have seen some near heat strokes when it gets really hot.
Yep, did this plenty. Or in a quick jam I'd pour part of a bottle of ice water into the neck... little chilly at first but boy was it nice :)

The first thing I did every time I got in the water was dunk and let water in!

I saw something similar. There was a guy with 2 larger tanks on his back, and 2 smaller tanks (one on each side) who was being helped by 2 others to walk up the hill. He barely made it to his table, and really looked like he was going to pass out. Thankfully our tent was at the entrance to the pavement on top of the hill. That hill is a bear though!

Back
Top Bottom