Dutch Springs - dynamite shack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, to answer my ones question on a previous post. I think that I found the dynamite shack… well, I am not sure if that was what they call a dynamite shack… this is just a bunch of wooden “benches” stacked up together that looks like a shelf assembly located on the northern side of the old road bed. To the west of it, maybe 20 or so feet lays an old telephone pole. Somehow, I thought a shack would represent something that would resemble a hut? Anyhow,.. I did see a telephone pole, and last weekend tied up a yellow marker to it with a yellow line. I wonder if it’s still there. The depth was about 70’; There were supposed to be a square “bunker” somewhere nearby, but I haven’t seen it as we had no air to venture any more west beyond the telephone pole. Most of the dive, we ventured east along the bottom of the road at 70’… but didn’t see much except some dead trees. I tried to save air and swim along the south side of the road bed (against the wall) at about 40’ but the visibility there was extremely poor (3’) and there were a lot of trees, so it was kinda scary as you can easily get entangled.. so I moved back to 70 and swam right in the middle of the road as the visibility was much better, around 15-20’. It hasn’t been really cold, by the way, but then again, I was wearing a dry suit. Have anyone swam east of the shack along the road to see two cars? I’ve been told that two vans and two cars (from the west) are really far and not possible to do on a single tank. Need to dive doubles on that one.

I dive at Dutch often and have never even heard of this trip! Let me know the next time you are out there and I may be able to accompany you and see for myself.

you were close but no shack..... I have personaly been there over 20 times. I average 130 dives/yr at Dutch. there are 3 different ways to reach the shack(actually looks like a large beer can). you can take a heading off the southside of the island, get there from the trolley, or get there from the car. there is a square sand bunker along with lots of other things left over after they let the quarry fill. Taking a heading from the shack, you can get to the "hole" , the deepest spot in the lake. I reached 108ft 3 wks ago. Let me know when you will be up there again, and maybe i can arange to get you out there

Hey Dutchfin, First welcome to the scubaboard. Next, I may be diving at Dutch on 26 October. But just in case what are the compass headings from the Island, Trolley and Carvan? I assume the south side of the island starting spot is on the opposite of the airplane?

VTernovski once bubbled...
Bill, I play do dive there again this Saturday. What tank do you use? Nitrox?

Your buddy has quite the drysuit inflator hose :wink:

Hi Bill, i'm not sure of your diving skills, but this will definately be a test of you nav. skills. Unless you are diving doubles, you really need to be aware of air consumptiom. Most of the dive is done in 70ft of water. Entering in on the W. side of the penninsula, surface swim - crane. Descend and follow the island S. , staying at the base. After making the turn at the S. tip of the island, start looking for a 10 x 10 sguare rock on the bottom@ 25-30ft from the tip. A 170 degree heading will take you right to the shack. Good luck and be safe !! Air goes quick!

I navigate at dutch quite often with a compass. I frequenctly do this with new OW students when going to the island or the helicopter.

This may be by chance to double up my HP 120 tanks for this swim. One of my pleasure dives is to start on the East ramp of the penisular and head to the platform and onward to the school bus. Turn left an on to the student side and eventually down to the tanker. Back to the island, do the crane and finish off with the Comet and exit on the south ramp on the penisular side. This take about 50-60 minutes and I am using a single 120.

I would probably make the shack and back to the Island. The trip back could be at 30-40 feet. I wont really know until I try it.

I usually do this dive with a sinle HP100 and pony. As long as I don't descend into the "hole", I usually have plenty of gas to make my return. If you miss the shack though, you could bi in "no mans land" for awhile ! I'm probably heading up tomorrow myself and Sun. Let me know if you'll be there and I'll show you the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom