Dutch Springs Dynamite Shack AGAIN!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J75

Contributor
Reaction score
I know this has been beaten to death already, but I was wondering if anyone can offer some more concrete headings to the dynamite shack (such as a heading from the car, trolley, or crane)? Most of the headings offered here on the board were from vague points, such as off of trees. I made a couple dives in search of it last weekend and was unable to find it. Is the shack located to the west or east of the car? I searched to the West of the car, around 90' to the end of the West cove and saw nothing except trees and barrels. Also followed a 210 heading from the Cessna, and just ended up at the south wall. Since most of the reference points mentioned on the board are in the center of the quarry, am I to assume that the shack lies somewhere between the helicopter and the car? I also failed to find the 4 additional cars and two vans. Even just a rough location using DS landmarks would be helpful. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
J75

I believe the Dynamite shack is south, south east of the cement tanker truck. Two weekends ago we were looking for two cars on the south wall and came across the shack. We decended on the tanker and followed the wall/bottom contour in a southernly direction.

This will probably get move to the Wreck Valley area forum. If and when it does, can we try to compile a list of 'stuff' that is in Dutch Springs and not on the official map?

Go down to the Crane which is on the Penninsula side. Follow the crane to the end which is near the Island, take a heading of 170 deg from the Island and start swimming. You will go over what I believe was a road bed which dropps down about 15-20 feet from the bottom you will be following, when the road bed rises up again you should be near the Dynamite Shack. There are a few telephone poles there as well as the bunker.

I like the idea of trying to list directions to all of the items not on the Dutch map.

VT if you see this, did you ever find any of those unmarked cars and get any headings people could use?

TTSkipper

I'm definatly going to try to get to DS within the next few days, and since I love to look around for stuff, I'll do my best to find what I can that isn't on the map... If we come up with anything, I'll start a thread.

TTSkipper:
Go down to the Crane which is on the Penninsula side. Follow the crane to the end which is near the Island, take a heading of 170 deg from the Island and start swimming.TTSkipper

These are great directions, they are what I use to find the shack, but you need to watch left.... At least for me I always come up on the shack about 30 feet to my left.

Sean326:
These are great directions, they are what I use to find the shack, but you need to watch left.... At least for me I always come up on the shack about 30 feet to my left.
me too, but then again i use 180º, so it makes sense that it comes up on my left.

XJae:
me too, but then again i use 180º, so it makes sense that it comes up on my left.
I have used a 180 degree route from the trees on the South side of the Island (just behind the airplane).

Hit the South wall, but due to other things going on I was not able to find the shack. I made a left turn at the wall (heading East) but turned around after maybe 50 yards.

Was I getting close?

If this is a good route, it allows you to see the bottom the entrie trip when swimming at 50 feet.

J75:
I know this has been beaten to death already, but I was wondering if anyone can offer some more concrete headings to the dynamite shack (such as a heading from the car, trolley, or crane)? Most of the headings offered here on the board were from vague points, such as off of trees. I made a couple dives in search of it last weekend and was unable to find it. Is the shack located to the west or east of the car? I searched to the West of the car, around 90' to the end of the West cove and saw nothing except trees and barrels. Also followed a 210 heading from the Cessna, and just ended up at the south wall. Since most of the reference points mentioned on the board are in the center of the quarry, am I to assume that the shack lies somewhere between the helicopter and the car? I also failed to find the 4 additional cars and two vans. Even just a rough location using DS landmarks would be helpful. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
J75
The 210 heading has to be taken from the tree at 30'mid-island. This actually is supposed to go to the hole but the shack is right there also. Good luck Another way to find it is hit the wall between the trolley and the car from the trolly go left along it.

I like the idea of trying to list directions to all of the items not on the Dutch map.

I think it is a wonderful idea. I like it so much that I am starting a new thread calling it "Complete (unofficial) Dutch Springs map. Please feel free to post this or other information about that subgect

I have a heading in my log book from the ramp farthest west of the peninsula. I will look it and post. It's a long swim from there, so you'd better pay attention the compass and the vis better be >10 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom