Dutch SB meeting (August 13, 2005)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbulmer:
Steady on mate I'm half Irish - does that make more sense :) ?

Oh dear. A mad-dog *and* head-strong. My kind of people. :D

My roots go back to Ireland too. That's where we picked up the Turner name.

My Grandmothers' Grandfather was Irish. A carpenter. He worked on the Titanic and was set to sail on her to America when the job was done. Fortunately for him (and for me) the Titanic was late in leaving and he went to the pub to pass time during the wait.....You know how this is going to end. He took the next boat, which went to Canada instead of the USA and here we are....

R..

Had an uncle who worked at Harland and Wolff ShipBuilders - I remember as a kid that my uncle would say the Titanic was a few miles down - Never thought we'd get to see the Ballard footage though.

Went to Canada - well it coud have been worse - I'll grab my flak jacket now :)

OK, het is tijd voor de laatste details.

Ik ben om 09:00 aanwezig bij de Nieuwe Kerkweg. Kijk uit naar een rode Renault Scenic met een ScubaBoard logo op de achterruit.

Een eventuele tweede duikstek bepalen we ter plekke wel.

Tot zaterdag,

Laurens

El Orans:
OK, het is tijd voor de laatste details.

Ik ben om 09:00 aanwezig bij de Nieuwe Kerkweg. Kijk uit naar een rode Renault Scenic met een ScubaBoard logo op de achterruit.

Een eventuele tweede duikstek bepalen we ter plekke wel.

Tot zaterdag,

Laurens

Ik ben nog steeds van plan om te komen maar ik weet niet of ik in staat zou zijn om te duiken.... :(

Ik ben namelijk onwijs verkouden. Sinds eergisteren gaat het weer de goeie kant uit maar ik kan mijn linker oor nog niet klaren. Vandaag kreeg ik iets van de arts.....even fingers-crossed dus.

Ik rij een grijze Berlingo. Waarschijnlijk draag ik een beige broek, rode/zwart gortex en een zwarte honkbalpet met de mares logo erop.

R..

Ziet er slecht uit voor zaterdag. Mijn hoofd zit nog steeds dicht. Ik kan mijn linker oor ondertussen weer klaren maar ik ben ver van hersteld.

R..

That's true. Dutch and German are very similar. The way I understand it, Dutch is one of the group of languages described by linguists as "Low German". It also includes languages like Afrikaans (the gist of which I can follow even though I've never learned it or travelled in areas where it's spoken), Flemish (Belgian Dutch) which can be followed fairly easily and seems more like a dialect of Dutch than a separate language to me and a number of Low Saxon dialects spoken in the north of Holland and parts of northern Germany.

Up until the 9th century Dutch and German weren't really separate languages at all.

R..

P.S. So, what do you think I was saying in my last two posts?

Diver0001:
That's true. Dutch and German are very similar. The way I understand it, Dutch is one of the group of languages described by linguists as "Low German". It also includes languages like Afrikaans (the gist of which I can follow even though I've never learned it or travelled in areas where it's spoken), Flemish (Belgian Dutch) which can be followed fairly easily and seems more like a dialect of Dutch than a separate language to me and a number of Low Saxon dialects spoken in the north of Holland and parts of northern Germany.

Up until the 9th century Dutch and German weren't really separate languages at all.
I'm actually more surprised as to how similar to English Dutch sounds.

No wonder there, either... As far as I understand, the "Germanic" part of English came through the Low Countries... so it's no wonder that to an English speaker, Dutch seems somewhere in-between German and English.

And that helps explain why there are so many people in The Netherlands who speak almost un-accented English.

Kind of like Ukrainian, to someone who knows both Polish and Russian! :eyebrow:

Or Polish, to someone who knows... oh, never mind.
Diver0001:
P.S. So, what do you think I was saying in my last two posts?
OK, OK... "Ik ben nog steeds van plan om te komen maar ik weet niet of ik in staat zou zijn om te duiken.... :("

Um, "I am still planning to come, though I don't know if I'm going to be... um... on the dikes?" :D

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom