Dust cap off first stage while soaking regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Certainly glad I have your permission - hell, I've only been diving for 45 years so I'm kind of new. And who doesn't service their own regs?

... then by now you should have figured out how situational diving is, how there are more than one "right" way to do just about anything, and how to avoid repeating popular myths perpetuated by dive shops whose priority is finding creative ways to stay in business.

And most divers don't service their own regs ... that doesn't mean they need to be fed advice of questionable value from people who have done things the same way for 45 years.

If rinsing regs works for you, great. But telling people they should "never" soak a reg is just poor advice ... because for many of us, it's the way we've been keeping them free of salt and debris for many years and thousands of dives, and without the adverse side-effects that many of you keep saying we should be getting. Your claims simply aren't borne out by our experiences ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I guarantee you a DIN regulator dist cap does not keep water out.

Mine does. Maybe I'm just lucky, but that would be multiple regs and thousands of times they've been soaked ... and they seem to be working to keep the water out just fine.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My din dust caps have a hole in the end that a string goes through so it can hang off of the first stage when not in use. Probably not watertight but I do soak, with and without the dust cap on.

Certainly glad I have your permission - hell, I've only been diving for 45 years so I'm kind of new. And who doesn't service their own regs?

Gee, I would have thought that 45 years would be enough time to figure out the questionable logic of telling people to never soak a device that was designed to be used underwater.

My din dust caps have a hole in the end that a string goes through so it can hang off of the first stage when not in use. Probably not watertight but I do soak, with and without the dust cap on.

That hole does not go through to the inside of the cap.

sounds like you got the wrong one. are you sure the hole goes all the way through?

With DIN caps you have to look on the inside. If there's a rim that sits against the regulator's sealing o-ring, it's waterproof. If the rim's not there, it isn't.

This one is waterproof ... you can see where the o-ring seats against it ...

dustcap4.jpg

.. this one is not ...

dustcap3.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

With DIN caps you have to look on the inside. If there's a rim that sits against the regulator's sealing o-ring, it's waterproof. If the rim's not there, it isn't.

This one is waterproof ... you can see where the o-ring seats against it ...

View attachment 385834

.. this one is not ...

View attachment 385835

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That second cap may be for a 200 bar din connection. I don't recall whether they had the projection. You also need to check that the diameter of the recess in the cap is large enough to accommodate the projection on you din retainer. I do have one that does not seal on the o'ring due to a somewhat larger diameter projection.

Back
Top Bottom