Dust cap off first stage while soaking regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been soaking in a laundry sink or transport tub for 20 years. Seems to work. :)
Good DUST CAPS are WATER TIGHT.....easily. This is simply a non-issue. If yours is not, get a decent one. :stirpot:

When I first started diving, I followed the lead of my instructor and just tossed the whole reg set in the rinse tank to let it "soak" for 10 minutes or so, making sure the so-called "dust cap" was in place. As I recall, my instructor said that it's called a "dust cap" like your watch is called "water resistant" rather than "waterPROOF"--out of an abundance of caution. Nevertheless, those were rented regs I was using at the time, and when I bought my own, I became much more careful about it--keeping the first stage higher than the second stage, etc. Recently--probably as a result of SB-induced paranoia--I acquired a 40 cf tank that I use to pressurize my regs during several hours of soaking.

A lot of instructors know don't know squat about regulators. They just parrot the stuff the previous instructor parroted at them, who also didn't know squat about regulators. Same goes for a lot of shop employees.
You need to be pretty careful and selective about who you believe about this stuff. You have to know experience, motivation, and even if there is some kind of monetary tangle (shops, agencies, manufacturers).

Last edited:
The only reason to soak in a tub is to check for air leaks. A hose wash down will get as much or more salt off than any soaking.

Got to love that advice. You read it all the time. Like everyone has a HUGE tub that will hold a cylinder and reg for 'safe' soaking. Sure, it's probably best, but face it, mostly impractical and a major PITA. I don't know anyone that does this.
I've been soaking in a laundry sink or transport tub for 20 years. Seems to work. :)
Since English is not my native, this is going to be a long post to explain what I mean. Here, building contractors are using a plastic tubs for small concrete volume manipulation. It does have some rubber in it, so it is quite flexible, can be bought at every construction yard and is cheap and I use it to store my gear in it, so my car is dry after diving trip. And a small baby bathing tub is enough (ask me how I know) which can be dropped into a shower booth. I drop a steel 15l with regs attached and leave a hose "on trickle" open to keep osmosis on max. I manipulate ventury and inhale effort control at 5 minutes and when I get back home. Regular bathing tub with an overflow orifice will work. Every diver I know does this. So, why it is such a PITA?

Yes, and I have a 19 cubic feet bottle, and I could do that. But it's another piece of equipment to maintain (VIP, hydro), it's cumbersome, and it slows down the rinsing process (2 sets of gear). I can't say I like rinsing gear. It's something that needs to be done.

I haven't had any problems in 20 years of non-pressurized soaking. Since I do my own regs I'm quite familiar with what goes on inside. I've seen no problem develop as a result of my soaking method....except that maybe I don't soak LONG enough, since I'm not terribly fond of doing it.

By all means, do it if you think it's superior or safer. I just can't find any compelling reason to do so.

Ok, my mistake, didn't read all of your post, I thought you said soaking is PITA.
Sorry.
Btw, since I had an access to a lathe,and a qualified operator, I've made a copy of my Apex dust cap and a DST 1st stage thread, to check sealing,and it is waterproof, so probably no need to pressurized soaking, but since it is pretty much the same, why risk?

Just left DRIS. The reg guy checked everything out. No water due to the ACD. He did blow it out, just to be on the safe side. No cost.

Just left DRIS. The reg guy checked everything out. No water due to the ACD. He did blow it out, just to be on the safe side. No cost.

That doesn't surprise me at all .. none of it.. Great service

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you!

So, one might say that with ACD there's no need to be OCD about the dust cap. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom