Dust cap off first stage while soaking regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went quarry diving Sunday. Soaked my regs last night and accidentally left them over night (6-8 hours). When I was hanging them up this morning to dry I realized the knob on the first stage wasn't screwed down enough and the dust cap had been off all the time in the water.

How bad is this? :(

Well... because nobody else has chimed in, and I would guess time is somewhat important...
What I would do:
-Disassemble the regulator hoses from the 1st stage, and remove all the port plugs
-Put the fist stage in some sort of cotton to protect it from getting debris in it (maybe wrap it in a hanes t-shirt)
-Put the reg in a tupperware with dry rice

Hopefully the rice will draw out a lot of the moisture and limit the damage... take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm a rather new diver myself...

Put them on a scuba tank, turn the air on and keep pressing on all purge buttons for a while (on and off). Take to your LDS to check later.

Put them on a scuba tank, turn the air on and keep pressing on all purge buttons for a while (on and off). Take to your LDS to check later.

Don't have tanks. Will have to take them to the LDS. Is waiting until Saturday a bad thing?

Thursday is the soonest I can get there (50 miles each way).

This is just another great reminder that "soaking" regs is always a bad idea...
As others have said, its best to bring them to a LDS and have them take a look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom