Dust cap off first stage while soaking regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not worry to much... if you don't understand about the workings of the regulator set.. Best not to play with it.. As a rule of thumb.. When something like a regulator gets flood with salt water.. You soak them in warm fresh water to help remove the salt.. The parts inside the first stage are marine brass and Stainless Steel and rubber O-rings...

If it was mine and I didn't have time to work on it right away... I'd pull the hoses off and throw it in a bucket of freshwater till I got around to it...

Jim...

The odds are pretty good that nothing bad is going to happen from soaking in drinking water. But I'd probably get them checked out.

All the home fixes I've seen involve blowing it out one port at a time with high pressure air, which requires a charged scuba tank.

DRIS is great I thought you used them. I have 6 sets of regulators I bought from them. Fresh water will not be a problems as it is just getting any water out primarily. That link should help you understand.

I understand my wife has done that on my regs a few times.. :)

When you finish your dives for the day, keep the reg attached to a tank with the valve open and rinse it well with fresh water, it's good if you have a hose to wash it all with and when putting the water into the second stages purge the reg at the same time.

If you want to soak them later then use a bucket and keep the first stage out of the water.

fresh water go blow the regulator out and use it. The problem arises if it sets there for months without use. And remember regulators are downstream devices. When they are off the tank everything is in the open condition. Sooo if you turn the air on and it free flows or creeps something is wrong. If you turn the air on and it doesn't start to free flow or creep. the regulator is operating correctly. Take a few breathes off it if it works and doesn't creep when exhaling it's most likely ready to go.

What @BurhanMuntasser said it right, best thing to do is just blow it out, but you have to make sure to at least remove the high pressure hose to the SPG or transmitter and the LPI hose. Ideally you remove all of the hoses and all of the port plugs. Water is non-compressible and you don't want to cause any issues inside of the chamber, but you also don't want to blow water into the bourdon tube and cause it to fail.

If you can't get it there until Thursday, it's not the end of the world, but if you can, take all of the hoses and port plugs out. Just an adjustable wrench and set of allen keys. Not brain surgery. Fresh water isn't going to kill it over 48 hours.

yup - its a DUST cap. its not designed to be a bulletproof waterproof cap

yup - its a DUST cap. its not designed to be a bulletproof waterproof cap

If you get a good "protective" cap and use it correctly, you will be able to keep- dust out as well as other things, like water.

Fresh water is not going to hurt anything very quickly. In fact, if you pull all hoses and plugs and just let it dry for a few days (or use a hair dryer and go for a few hours of drying) it will be fine. Your shop should be able to help. If you want to get a tank and DIY, remove the SPG & hose so you don't blow water into the SPG before the 1st stage is dry. Unbalanced pistons can be a problem as water blown through thr piston has no where to be discharged.

When I dive in clean fresh water, I only rinse my regs afterwards and may not even do that if the water is clean enough. I only soak after salt water trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom