Dusk diving is pretty cool!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So love this thread! Night dives are scary for me, too dark, but dusk sounds fantastic! Why did I never think of this? Next time in Catalina we will go in and watch the sun set from below. Thank you!!!! :yeahbaby:

Some of my favorite dives are either going in while it's light and coming out when it's dark (dusk dives) or vice versa (dawn dives). You get to watch the "shifts" change, as the day critters check out and the nocturnal critters check in ... or again, vice versa. It's like getting in two dives on one tank. At home I will often get up early and get down to my local mudhole while it's still dark ... and be ending the dive just as the first of the day's divers are arriving and beginning to gear up. Among the other benefits ... which usually result in some pretty cool critter sightings ... I get the whole dive site to myself. Well, unless a curious seal or sea lion happens by ... in which case, at least I get an experienced dive buddy ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Some of my favorite dives are either going in while it's light and coming out when it's dark (dusk dives) or vice versa (dawn dives). You get to watch the "shifts" change, as the day critters check out and the nocturnal critters check in ... or again, vice versa. It's like getting in two dives on one tank. At home I will often get up early and get down to my local mudhole while it's still dark ... and be ending the dive just as the first of the day's divers are arriving and beginning to gear up. Among the other benefits ... which usually result in some pretty cool critter sightings ... I get the whole dive site to myself. Well, unless a curious seal or sea lion happens by ... in which case, at least I get an experienced dive buddy ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
you mean you dive in the dark on your own on a single tank -OMG I'm amazed your still alive -not sure if id like to share air with a seal -yuk bad breath :stirpot:

you mean you dive in the dark on your own on a single tank -OMG I'm amazed your still alive -not sure if id like to share air with a seal -yuk bad breath :stirpot:

I typically either dive sidemount (two HP-100's) or I dive a single tank and sling an AL-40. The only time I dive in the dark on my own on a single tank without bailout is during winter, when I'm hunting for lumpsuckers in the eel grass ... and then my emergency contingent generally amounts to "stand up" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I typically either dive sidemount (two HP-100's) or I dive a single tank and sling an AL-40. The only time I dive in the dark on my own on a single tank without bailout is during winter, when I'm hunting for lumpsuckers in the eel grass ... and then my emergency contingent generally amounts to "stand up" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
lol just pulling your regs-
I had a seal buddy once never again!! all it wanted to do was bounce dives, no concept of NDL or DCS and when I asked for his pressure he just rolled on his side and stuck his hand up -go figure? great swimmer though hard to keep with- but i doubt he had done any sort of course - i once asked what cert card he had and he just gave me this dumb look and swam off. not reliable either - as soon other divers turned up he went off and joined them, stuff him he can find his own way back i thought.
loved the kelp forests but never could coax him inside a wreck .
oh well each to there own

Another dusk dive last evening at Beauchamp Point in Rockport. Wicked pretty!
BPDusk.jpg

I also like twilight dives here in S California. Parking is easier, it's cooler to gear up and you don't get sunburned. Under water it feels like a night dive, and afterwards you have time to rinse off your gear at a reasonable time.

Back
Top Bottom