Durable 3mm full brand opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I mostly dive dry but sometimes wear a 7mm Henderson H2 when it is hot but the water is colder or in the tropics I am in a 3mm shorty.

I am looking for a full suit for 70-78F water and don't want to bake in a drysuit or 7mm.

My question when looking for opinions is:

Would you go right to a 5mm full or 3mm full. I think the 3mm shorty will be a little too cold in the lower 70's. Not much body fat,

Thickness and brand opinions wanted for a durable suit.

I would buy a 3mm and then use a 1mm core warmer when it's cooler. That way I have something for warmer and cooler temps. Currently I'm using my core warmer with a 7mm Waterproof to dive New England (in summer) with no problems of being cold.

I like Waterproof wetsuits... I've been diving one lately, my first season with one but I love it and think the quality is superb. My next 3mm will probably be a Waterproof.

I would go to a full suit, myself. Either 3mm or 5mm depending on if you tend to chilly or not (I'd be in 5mm at the lower end of your range; 3mm at the higher end). A hooded vest might help if you decide to go only 3mm.

I have two Waterproof brand fullsuits (3mm and 5mm, as it happens), and I can't say enough good things about the excellent workmanship/durability/features. Not to mention they come in about 15 sizes for great fit.

Blue Sparkle

PS: Another factor if you are trying to decide between 3mm and 5mm is how many dives per day, and will you be on any cooler-temperature surface intervals. Even in the Keys, which are somewhat "tropical," I find the winter-time surface intervals/full-day diving to be a factor in going to a warmer suit.

Thanks Blue Sparkle. I dove in the Keys in Jan & April and dove dry. I am going down in the beginning of Nov and don't want to pack the drysuit. I would dive dry year round but when the water temp is in the 80's I am very comfortable in a 3mm shorty. I am expecting the temp to be in the mid 70's so maybe a full 3mm will do. 2 Waterprooof recommendations in a row, wow!

My choice was full suit too. I confess I bought the cheapest, discounted, no-brand full 3 mm for about 30 USD which works fine for me for 3 years (I don't use that much, sadly I have more dives in temperate waters). If it will be worn I'll buy another one and give away the old to a friend or a beginner as a gift...

I mostly dive dry but sometimes wear a 7mm Henderson H2 when it is hot but the water is colder or in the tropics I am in a 3mm shorty.

I am looking for a full suit for 70-78F water and don't want to bake in a drysuit or 7mm.

My question when looking for opinions is:

Would you go right to a 5mm full or 3mm full. I think the 3mm shorty will be a little too cold in the lower 70's. Not much body fat,

Thickness and brand opinions wanted for a durable suit.

Please take a look at our selection of wetsuits. The one piece suits in 1.5 and 3.5 mm are particularly popular with scuba divers. We have priced them very competitively and we also have matching hoods and gloves.

MAKO 1-Piece Blue Camouflage Closed Cell Wetsuit (1.5 and 3.5 mm)

M1B-2.jpg

I have always thought those freediving/speardiving type suits looked fantastic. When I used to kayak, years ago, we made our own wetsuits out of skin-type material (w/o nylon) and they were very warm and for their thickness, plus more "conformable."

I only wish these came in women's sizes :depressed: Any thoughts on changing that?

Also, wearing a hood (1mm or thicker) goes a long way to keeping you warm in a 3mm when you would think about wearing something warmer...
dd

I have a couple of hoods I wear both dry and wet. When I dive dry in the keys, i don't wear a hood and it works fine. 68F in the keys dry with no hood is still better than 34F in a lake in January in PA. LOL. Tired of wearing a hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom