Dump Valve Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dewds, during an ascend, if you use your inflator to dump and you become a bit too positive, it's much easier to get into a runaway ascend situation because of the head/body up position. If you are ascending using the bottom dump valve, your head/body would be slighty downwards. If you now become too positive a couple of fin kicks will slow you down..........c'mon now.

NWGratefulDiver:
Lamont, you left out the best part.

After the dive, his dive buddy showed us his wet notes, wherein it was written ...

"dude, is that yours?"

:heh_heh:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

heh, yeah, that was one of the amusing parts. the wetnotes were:

"is that yours?"
"where does it go?"

ShakaZulu:
Dewds, during an ascend, if you use your inflator to dump and you become a bit too positive, it's much easier to get into a runaway ascend situation because of the head/body up position. If you are ascending using the bottom dump valve, your head/body would be slighty downwards. If you now become too positive a couple of fin kicks will slow you down..........c'mon now.
. . .But any air you have in your drysuit at the time would go into your feet. Your suit dump will be in a position where it can't vent.

Dumping from the inflator hose in a slightly elevated position can be accomplished while staying relatively flat and horizontal position in the water column; the upper
torso being arched up more as you dump thru the inflator hose. Your drysuit will then properly vent in this position.

Be honest, did anybody else have a little laugh thinking about lamont's dive buddy trying to screw the thing back in while lamont was still neutral? I had visions of lamont being rotated about his axis getting dizzier and more puzzled and had to leave my desk for a couple of minutes until the giggle fit stopped.

I'll dump from either the dump valve or the inflator hose depending on what is better at the time. For example last night I was swimming up from the bottom to some pilings above me. I had already broken trim upwards because I was using propulsion to go up and forwards, so using the inflator hose was natural, using the dump valve was not. On the other hand, if I've gotten light and also want to go down a few feet, I'll use the dump valve and go head-down and kick. For horizontal ascents I usually find that the dump valve requires less breaking of trim than the inflator valve does, and since you're most likely wanting to arrest your ascent in that case it gets you in the right position to kick down to assist. When my wing starts getting down to the dregs, though, I'll have to break trim pretty badly, use the inflator hose and dance around a bit to shake it all out...

And yeah, the video would have been hilarous...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom