Dumbest things you've seen a newbie diver do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dumbest thing I ever saw was a "newbie" diver (he had been diving many years ago and clearly hadn't gotten recertified) on a dive boat with his newly certified daughter. She was all set up with fairly new rental gear and he had his kit.

My buddy said to him, "Wow! I've never seen a depth guage like that!" And he replied quite proudly, "Well, that's because I built it myself! She asked if he was an engineer or something and he told her, "No, but I like to fiddle around with mechanical things in my garage." And no, he hadn't used his homemade depth guage in about 15 years... :shakehead:

Well, they only got a few feet down before he realised his contraption wasn't working. So they resurfaced and when the dive op saw it, they went balistic! The rest of the trip he was in newer rental gear (he complained about the cost of renting it!) and they were required to dive with an instructor.

Trish

So, this post isn't a mistake that a newbie MADE, but could've made and would've been a disaster. We Americans are at a disadvantage when diving overseas since so many other places use metrics (eg, measuring depth in meters and not in feet). We were diving in the Solomon Islands, and one of the divers on the boat was a newly certified 17 yr old girl using rented gear from the LDS. Before the dive, the dive master went through the dive plan, and to try to make it easier for the girl, he said we'd be descending to about 90 feet then doing a slow ascent along the wall. However, the 17 yr old girls rental computer was set to meters, not feet. Fortunately, we realized the confusion before she tried to accidentally descend to 90 METERS, which obviously might have been a bit problematic. She ended up having some AWESOME dives and is now hooked on the sport!

Not newbies but......
Taking a guided tour in the keys with husband, son, son's friend and a single female diver, can't remeber her name let's call her Jan. The boat the guide wants to use is being repaired and instead of taking the other boat has us wait for the repair, on the dock, in the sun, 95 degrees. Time to hydrate and find some shade. After an hour we decide it's not worth it anymore and tell the guide/captain we're leaving. NO it's almost repaired. Jan still is willing to go. We get into the boat and off we go. Guide starts chain smoking out to the site, boat is a 6pack. Jan tells him she would prefer he not smoke. What guide smokes before a dive? He gets nasty with her and she doesn't back down. He stops smoking and tosses butt in water, in a protected marine park. Now we are annoyed. Jan seems like a good diver, rest of us dive several times a year, not regularly and we tell guide this. Water a little choppy, some current. We all get in. Son's friend, Jose, doesn't wait and jumps in immediately after Jan, somehow hitting her fin. It flips off. She is kind of surprised. Guide gets fin. Jan informs guide on boat before getting in that she has a new bc, it was stuck yesterday and fixed at the diveshop, he says no problem. We all decend. My husband has an issue we all go up. Issue solved, we all go down. After 200' out my husband has another issue. Up we all go. Fixed. Down we go. Not Jan, can't dump air. Guide doesn't notice he's missing someone. She seems ok, I make the ok signal she does it back. She is surface swimming. I should mention that she checked all her gear, tried both regs, checked bc on boat, ect. All of a sudden I notice son's friend having an issue. Stop to assist with son. Husband is ? 50' in front clueless. Guide is 100' away not looking at anybody. Guide keeps going. Guide told us just follow me, swim that way, turn when I do. We wanted more info guide said we didn't need it just follow me. I should mention here that the guide was swimming very fast and breathing very heavy. Perhaps a smoking issue?? So, can't see guide anymore, can't see husband, now both boys are starting to look frantic. Not quite sure where the boat is. As I look up Jan makes the ok, and I do too. She makes some hand motions which I assume is I'm going back and swims away. I go up to another dive group and use my slate and ask for help. They help us back to the boat which is very nice. Jan ends up with her pressure guage broken and swam back to the boat. Don't know how she managed to get there. Husband gets back to boat on his own. We are all in the boat except the guide. NOW my son tells me that when he talked to the guide that he stank like alcohol. NOW YOU TELL ME! The other captain on boat says yes well he has been known to drink. Good heavens what kinda of dive operation are you people running here?? Finally guide gets back to boat, he tells us that was a great dive where would you like to go next? Back to shore. Jan gives him a good piece of her mind. Turns out we learned many lessons here. Our mistake was trying to follow the guide when we couldn't, not using navigation skills,should have paid more attention, should ask for recommendations and heed them-we were told not to use that particular dive shop by the hotel. Jan tells us she learned a lesson here too-she did not have a snorkel on and her pressure gauge had all of a sudden dropped to 0. She had been checking her guage and it dropped right before her eyes. Purchased from the same dive shop as the malfunctioning fixed bc. Later we find out that Jan routinely dives solo but removed her snorkel to streamline herself. She was mad at herself. Lesson to everyone stay together, wear a snorkel, carry a noise maker,don't rely 100% on a guide, or anyone for that matter. If my son or his friend had bolted or Jan wasn't self reliant there could have been a worse outcome. It was just a bad day, bad dive.

A newbie who desires to remain anonymous once put his weight belt on over his octo..buddy check missed it, and air share on the checkout dive didn't go to well. Did get some practice on underwater gear removal :)

One of my first few drysuit dives (probably around dive 50 or so)....I really wanted to see the bottom of the quarry. My regular dive buddy (AN/Deco certified) would not take me down there, because he felt I didn't have the experience yet. So, I buddied up with 3 people who had a plan on how to do it (I thought) pretty safely, we calculated a crude min deco, and went for it. We performed a mid-water descent with no point of reference...my buddies wound up below me and facing away from me. I freaked out because I was essentially solo diving at that point, I was feeling narced and was experiencing some vertigo, and bolted from 120 feet.

lol I was at the bottom of that mudhole this weekend! You were working the desk when we got there I think.

My comp shows 147', darned if we could find 150'. It was cooooooooold! I can't imagine doing that on a single 80 and a handful of drysuit dives. At 150' on air (my other three team members were on mix), I started feeling quite narced at 9 minutes. It took me three minutes to reclip my pressure gauge. I have no idea how I had the lack of skill to fumble with my gauge and the presence of mind to actually note when I started being narced and how long it took me to re-clip.

My tec instructor has a favorite story of his that occurred when he was teaching open water one summer.

He sees one of the students putting the reg on the tank before the BCD and goes to help her.

To the student:
"It'll be easier if you put your BC on first."
Student:
"Oh, OK!" Proceeds to put BCD on herself and goes back to putting the reg on the tank.
Instructor:
*facepalm*

In retrospect, however, i don't think it was the student's fault or that she was being stupid. Instructors have to always watch what they say when talking to students, as they are too often taken very literally!

Once, on a late summer nite in Monterey there was a new student doing his advance open water night dive. He had been diving with a group of 4 for two days, using a combination of rented and his own gear. They were all doing AOW from the same shop, and had known each other for about 2 weeks. He used rented regulators and weight belt, while he used his own wetsuit, mask, snorkel (yes he dove with a snorkel then), fins, etc...

At the start of the dive, fully geared up, he and his buddy did a sort of a buddy check and then jumped in and swam to the anchor line. After reaching the anchor line he deflated his BC (he used a rented jacket bc at this time) and was slightly buoyant. He wondered a bit, why was he a little light, when he had been adequately weighted the previous day. Putting that thought aside he descended hand over hand down the anchor line, and at about 20 feet his suit had compressed enough to descend, more or less normally.

After about 20 minutes at 60 to 80 feet his light started to fail, so he contacted his buddy and started a slow ascent. With a partially empty tank, and not enough lead, his ascent became rapid. At about 20 feet he encountered the kelp canopy and became seriously entangled. Buoyant and tangled, he was unable to descend or ascend. After thrashing around for 5 minutes he got his head to the surface. There he got the attention of and help from the boat crew, DM, and the rest of the class. Much kelp was cut. The surface of the water looked like a lawn mower went through the kelp canopy several times.

Finally the exhausted diver was pulled from the kelp and into the boat, where it was discovered that he had gotten the wrong weight belt from the pile of identical rental weight belts. The belt he had used was about 10 lbs light. One of the other divers, using his belt had descended faster than normally, and had had a big bubble in her BC during her whole dive.

After that i bought all my own gear...

-hiker

Saw someone doing multiple dives, flat profiles +/-28m on air with no timer or computer. He couldn't figure out how to set his computer, so decided he didn't need it, nor did he need to rent one. He'd just follow the group (at the edge of NDL profiles).

My tec instructor has a favorite story of his that occurred when he was teaching open water one summer.

He sees one of the students putting the reg on the tank before the BCD and goes to help her.

To the student:
"It'll be easier if you put your BC on first."
Student:
"Oh, OK!" Proceeds to put BCD on herself and goes back to putting the reg on the tank.
Instructor:
*facepalm*

In retrospect, however, i don't think it was the student's fault or that she was being stupid. Instructors have to always watch what they say when talking to students, as they are too often taken very literally!

I did the reg first thing when I was a new diver. I often tell my story to my students to help put them at ease about making mistakes. I point out that there are very few mistakes they can make that I have not made myself:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom