Dumbest Moments Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were on the last dive of a liveaboard trip and a group of us was assembling for a group video shot at about 15-20 feet during our safety stop. We were gathering around for the old "put your arm around each other" pose and one of the fellow divers reached out his arm and unknowingly dropped his very expensive camera. The video footage captured the entire episode. He didn't realize that he had unclipped it (for whatever reason) and the camera goes tumbling down. This camera was like his child the entire trip - he was late to a lot meals because he was doting on it.

Well his buddy sees the camera dropping and goes after it and fast. He catches it at about 80 feet and slowly (and I mean slowly) came back up. Good buddy, huh? We all got a good laugh about it afterwards - the look on his face was priceless when he realized the camera was gone.

Ishie:
).
4. Believing a friend when he tells you that taking bread down is a great way to get fish pictures in the Caribbean.

This reminds me of a time that someone at the quarry filled one of their "buddies" BC pockets with "squeeze cheese".

Of course the fish essentially "attacked" the guy when he was in the water as the cheese, mixing with water, was coming out of his BC pockets.

Sean C:
At which point, I promptly back rolled directly onto the small freakin' dingy that has swung around behind me. Well the impact with the dingy is not bad, kinda soft and springy, but the full faceplant into the side of our boat was decidedly more unforgiving.

haha..now that is funny :D

Dumbest thing I saw? Twin tank diver standing on a pier...in low tide...surely he wasn't actually going to stride in.

I was wrong. Somewhere in the world, someone is considerably shorter than they used to be...

On my LDS boat Splash we see that bungee seatbelt thing a lot. Casey the captain and shop owner alway says:

"Whoa now, only one sport at a time, no bungee diving."

It's still funny to watch it happen.

During a great weekend of diving in Tobermory Canada I was all set for dive #9. Got all geared up and stepped off the boat into the water and felt this burning sensation between my legs..... then realized I forgot to re-zip my relief zipper (I've found it's only good for taking the squeeze off a dry suit between dives). After taking in a quart or so of VERY cold water I managed to zip back up and continue the dive in a soggy fashion. Lesson learned and gave the rest of the group something to talk about for the last four years.

Respectfully,

Fred

Any other divings funiest and dumbest moments are most welcome[/QUOTE]

I'm sure just about everyone has done this on a boat.

On a boat dive, set up your gear while keeping the bungy cord still attached to the tank. Then you go to put your gear on and the tank wont move because of the bungy is still attached. When you do it twice in one day......That's embarrassing! The DM said that if he had a quarter for everyone he's seen do that, he would be a rich man, lol.

Another......I always have a smaller dive light attached to my BC but, this time I took my bigger dive light with me too. As I was getting back on the boat from the dive, I was having problems getting up from the step. I thought it was because I was getting tired since this was dive 3 and it was butt cold, I thought I was just weak in the knees. The DM had his back turned while I was coming up the ladder. I was determined to get up the steps without his aiding me. I kept pulling myself up but, I just couldn't do it. I couldn't even get back the second step. I finally took one big swift tugging step up and broke free. DUH! It was my "good" dive light that was hooked onto the step. (cheap plastic hook on the lanyard) I put my face in the water only to see my dive light sinking fast to the bottom. Luckily it was only in about 60 feet of water, so another diver recovered it for me.

darcy:
On my LDS boat Splash we see that bungee seatbelt thing a lot. Casey the captain and shop owner alway says:

"Whoa now, only one sport at a time, no bungee diving."

It's still funny to watch it happen.

Hey Darcy, now I know what Flipper was talking about. :D

First time I dove with a camera. I was so carefull to have it conected with a tether to my BC. Drop off the boat, get on the bottom and darn, I have lost my brand new camera, must have came off when I jumped in.

I was really bumed and my son pointed something out and made that finger motion to take a picture. I looked at him and shrugged my shoulders to indicate I had allready lost my brand new camera.

He promptly reached above my head and pulled it down so that I could see it was still attached, just floated up when I turned loose of it during desent....go figure....

mike_s:
This reminds me of a time that someone at the quarry filled one of their "buddies" BC pockets with "squeeze cheese".

Of course the fish essentially "attacked" the guy when he was in the water as the cheese, mixing with water, was coming out of his BC pockets.

Oh yeah! Easy Cheese. It's the best. I was feeding some fish at the quarry and one of my dive buddies just kind of wandered into the feeding frenzy. Wish I'd had a camera.

On my very first open water checkout dive I was thinking about so many others things that I forgot to equalize the pressure in my mask. I felt pressure but for whatever reason I was primarily focused on just getting down. I was in Monterey, CA wearing a buoyant 7mil wet suit and very poor vis meant that focusing on the depth guage was the only way I'd know whether I was going up or down. I shrugged off the increasing pain, reached the bottom and was barely able to break the vacuum seal that had my mask glued to my face. I ended up with a bad case of mask squeeze and by that evening I had blood in both eyes that lasted for a couple of weeks. To this day my C-Card photo is a reminder of that rookie mistake.

Two weeks ago in Cayman Brac, I saw three divers in three days get wet with no weight belt on. The bad part was the DM's kept repeating, " we will take care of everything but mask, snorkel, fins, and wb." Oh well 75% is passing right! My wife and I agreed then not to laugh about it until after the trip just in case it was contagious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom