Dumb scuba products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

www.diverguard.com

This was mentioned previously. I remember listening to them at their booth at DEMA in Orlando a few years ago. The entire experience was made even more special by the presenter booth-babe who had never dived but was “prepped” by the manufacturer on the day of the show. NO ONE asked her any tough questions either.
Features: Automated BC inflation upon continuing emergency

Isn't this potentially dangerous?

Get a blue light not a UV light. I) the absorption max for a lot fluorphores underwater is more in the blue and Ii) it is a lot safer for other divers. UV is invisible to be human eye and thus there is no aversion response if some dufus shines it into your face.
Can you give me an example of an underwater blue light?

Can you give me an example of an underwater blue light?
Almost ALL the so-called UV lights that are for sale! Most peak at 420 or 395 nm. The latter still looks blue to the eye, but the former probably forces the florescence better. The eye doesn't lose it until maybe 380. UVA is about 320-400, UVB is 280-320, and UVC is 200-280.

I remember giving this a passing glance at DEMA a couple of years ago. The idea is that if you go unconscious and unresponsive it gets you to the surface. I don’t remember what the “sensing” mechanism is, and no idea how reliable and/or foolproof it might be.
Actually a hell of a good idea if it is really practical in the implementation.

Potentially useful and also very dangerous. The company did not last despite some serious brainpower running it. They had a large booth at DEMA 2012 and some serious financial backing.

The device monitored your breathing and if it determined that you needed a ride to the penthouse, up you went.

Potentially useful and also very dangerous. The company did not last despite some serious brainpower running it. They had a large booth at DEMA 2012 and some serious financial backing.

The device monitored your breathing and if it determined that you needed a ride to the penthouse, up you went.
What if there is a system failure and it takes you up, blowing the safety stop?

What if there is a system failure and it takes you up, blowing the safety stop?
It is usually assumed that a not-technical diver is always well within NDL limits, hence if the ascent happens at reasonable speed he can safely surface without any deco stop. This device is intended for solo diving, a practice which is never safe outside NDL.
It remains to be proven that after such a mechanically-controlled automatic ascent a passed-by solo diver has any chance of being rescued, if no one is looking after her/him at the surface...

Miniature Ascent Rate Alarm - great idea if you could hear the alarm. Since you can't - totally dumb.

Back
Top Bottom