dumb question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacificgal

Rest in Peace...
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, I have a head cold so cut me some slack, the old noggin isn't working in tip top form today.
After diving, the new flight requirements are to wait 18 hours after the completion of the last dive?
So, if I wanted to fly to SoCal for their MAG, and my dive is done at say, 2 pm on Saturday, I could catch a 2 pm flight home Sunday? (yes, I know that's 24, I'm being safe)
Mapquest says it's a 6.5 hour drive and priceline says I could fly and get a car for $129
tough deal to pass up.

Yeah, 18 hours after repetitive dives (I think it's still only 12 hours after a single dive). I usually schedule my flights out 22-24 hours from last dive on multi-day dive trips and have never had a problem. Anyway, with what you described I'd have no problem flying, and that price is nice.

Just FYI, the socal meet and greet is being held at a site where you'd be hard pressed to get deeper than 30fsw....I personally would have absolutely zero issue flying within 24 hours.

Looking forward to meeting you! :D

Oh, very cool.
I wasn't aware that the site was so shallow. I may just book a flight then, if I had to stay an extra day it wouldn't be cost effective, for some reason I had stuck in my head I wasn't allowed to do any diving the day before I fly (that's what the rule was at Sandal's Montego Bay 5 years ago).
Thanks all, I'll get my head together.
Looking forward to meeting you too, Ligers :wink:

Here I am to make trouble.

I have the Scubapro Galileo and it computes no fly time after each dive. Usually after a normal dive I see no more than 6-7 hours... after the repetitive I see 11-13 GENERALLY. Now, this being profile dependent most of my dives are 50-60 minutes long and generally 40-100 fsw.

EDIT: I haven't actually put this to the test though, granted if I were in a situation where I could I would.

Here I am to make trouble.

I have the Scubapro Galileo and it computes no fly time after each dive. Usually after a normal dive I see no more than 6-7 hours... after the repetitive I see 11-13 GENERALLY. Now, this being profile dependent most of my dives are 50-60 minutes long and generally 40-100 fsw.

EDIT: I haven't actually put this to the test though, granted if I were in a situation where I could I would.
Troublemaker! :D

The smart com does the same thing. Remember those calculations are based on an average, body types vary so use that info with a grain of salt. why push it?
Now that being said, If I were in Kristina's shoes, I'd dive with nitrox and plan on flying the next day.

:wink:

I mean most commercial flights are pressurized somewhere to 8000 feet elevation. No where in any materials of PADI's at least do they say dont go the the mountains or past an elevation of blah. So does the 8000 feet matter or are they just not wanting you to carbonate if the cabin pressure fails?

This is actually a really good question and one that I have considered when diving in Hawaii where you easily may be driving to elevations from 1000 ft to 4000 ft right after a dive. Once on Oahu I stayed in a house at 1600 feet elev and did repetitive dives over a couple of days. On a Kauai dive trip I had to plan a drive up to Waimea Canyon and Kokee which hits 4000 feet. A month or so ago, in Kona, I immediately drove back over Capt Cook to Kailua, a 1000 ft elevation change, from a single dive at the Place of Refuge.

The only one of these that I worried about was the Waimea Canyon drive, and I did not dive the day we went up there. The SI before going to that elevation worked out to about 22 hours.

On the Oahu trip, which involved repetitive long fairly shallow dives, I planned some errands after the dives and took my time getting off the boat, rinsing gear, etc which resulted in three or four hours of time after diving at sea level before I went back up the hill to the house. This was just to give a bit of a cushion in case I had loaded up tissues with slower offgassing times. If I'd have done shorter deeper dives I probably wouldn't have been so conservative because of the fast washout times associated with nitrogen loading on shorter deeper dives.

I'm taking my nitrox class on the 13th of January. So, nitrox is an option (if I pass).
I'm having problems getting through the physics of it though, it's TDI, I wish I coul dhave an instructor going through this while I learn it, rather than learn it on my own and have an instructor confirm I learned it.

I'm taking my nitrox class on the 13th of January. So, nitrox is an option (if I pass).
I'm having problems getting through the physics of it though, it's TDI, I wish I coul dhave an instructor going through this while I learn it, rather than learn it on my own and have an instructor confirm I learned it.

What do you need help with? Call or PM me.

As for the cabin pressurization thing, it's nice to know the pilot, as he can dial in the cabin pressure. For a while (dunno if it's still true) some ATP's on the Hawaii flights would dial the pressure up to 4000 ft so they could get a dive in a few hours before they were scheduled to fly back to SF. FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom