Dumb Fisherman in Pompano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I had a yelling match with this jack ass just a few minutes ago. He got mad that I cut him off. I had 2 flags in the water. 2 on my boat and 6 other divers yelling at him. He drove right over the flags as he left. Jerk.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365522154276.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365522154276.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,446
Dive flags seem to be an open invitation to come close for some boaters. Years ago one of our dive boat operators had another boat encroach upon a group of divers in the water. Apparently they dropped anchor right by some of the divers. The captain dove in the water, boarded the other boat and cold cocked its captain. Score one for the good guys.

So to be more detailed, now that I'm home.

The guy was yelling at me and flipping me off because in his words "you cut me off, how can you be so stupid, I have fishing lines in the water" (fishing poles, not commercial fishing gear) Clearly... The right of way was mine, and he was also required to yield to the dive flags.

I was very clear when I pointed to the TWO dive flags on my boat, both the Alpha Flag, and the Diver Down flag. Said, There are ACTUAL SCUBA DIVERS IN THE WATER, among other things.

The guy didn't leave until the passengers started shouting out his registration number to me, as I said, "OK *%@# $@#@ I'm calling the cops right now, let's see who is right"

Anyway... That's what happened. Luckily, nobody got hurt, and we all had a good laugh about what a idiot this guy was. I really hope that he tried to complain about me to the coast guard or something. LOL.

i hope you reported him to the coast guard so he will think twice about it next time. I'd rather not be the one he tries to hit next. if we report enough of the idiots, they might wise up and start respecting the flags and what they represent.

next time use your video camera instead of your still camera :)

better yet, set up a sting operation with a third party filming so that we can see your dive flags

what was the boat name?

I have had run ins off pompano, usually with large "yacht" type boats.

they fail to yield until I turn towards them at half throttle. . . .

flying diver down on boat and divers carrying flags.

Most folks are good down here, but then you get the durka durkas that buy a boat and think of themselves as boat captains . . .

I hope you reported him. FWC is very good in your area for enforcement of Dive flag laws. I even had them talk to the Palm Beach Sherriff;s boat about running near Dive Flags.

You should still report the boat and the incident! You apparently have witnesses too.

I tried to call BSO on the radio. Nobody else was out yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom