DUI's New Zipper - QuickZip (TM)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this zipper yet? DUI offered it to us as an option on our new suits, but I was wondering if anyone else had seen it yet. We will be among the first to have it if we don't change our minds before they get to the zipper part...

I talked to Dave Sweetin from GUE/Halcyon and he said it is basically a longer zipper than makes the suits easier to doff/don. He had tried a preproduction model and suggested some changes to DUI based on his experiences with the suit. Supposedly DUI is going to announce it at DEMA 2002.

Thanks!

Andrew G. had the zippers on the 5thD suits shortened so that they wouldn't fold over and break... while they are not manufactured by DUI it is the same principle...

With the telescoping torso and the diagonal zipper on a DUI self entry suit you want to make sure that the zipper does not fold with the telescoped suit... that is where it will break.

With the standard length zipper I can keep it from folding over... barely... any longer and it would have to fold.

Something else to worry about Eric :D

...the zipper will be more like Andrew's zipper. Dave mentioned it moves around the body more toward the back, so I think it might cut off before the telescoping torso starts.

Dang..I hate being first...wish I had the patience to wait on this until DUI QuickZip Service Pack 1 comes out...

O-ring once bubbled...
Dang..I hate being first...wish I had the patience to wait on this until DUI QuickZip Service Pack 1 comes out...
Well... there is always duct tape... :D

What if it turns out to be the DUI Quickleak... :eek:

Just kidding... it's soooo much fun watching you squirm! :eek:ut:

I could always invest in Uncle Pug Brand Zip Ties (TM) and close the suit that way. Punch a few grommets in the area around the zipper and have my buddy ziptie me up good and snug..

I hate squirming...but this damn thing was a lot of $$

We decided to go with the zipper, but just in case someone else has a question down the line or hits this thread in a search I thought I would post what DUI sent us back...

> I can understand your questioning the
> zipper however please be assured that
> this is an upgrade. The zipper is
> approximately 20% longer and makes
> donning and doffing the suit easier.
>
> The zipper cannot then be changed over
> to the old style zipper, but I assure
> you that the zipper has been tested.
> Our warranty is for 7 full years, and
> if it turns out that the Zipper itself
> is defective then DUI will cover the
> cost of replacing it.
>
> We have some pictures on our website,
> and most people are excited to get the
> new zipper before everyone else. If
> you are SURE you love the CLX as it is,
> then you may wish to stay with the
> original design. At this time we
> cannot send a suit out as a sample.
>
> I hope this helps you to decide, please
> feel free to call us if you have any
> questions.

Oh yeah, anyone else like our idea about the "sample suit"...hehe...how did I know they wouldn't go for that??

It looks pretty good to me...like it avoids the telescoping torso and won't flex with waist movement. Isn't that how the FifthD zipper is now?

Wonder where they got the idea? :wink:

BTW ... you guys did order them with the exhaust on the forearm and with the bellows thigh pockets? Right?

We got the bellows pockets but not the arm exhaust. We had a lot of discussions back and forth on that and ended up going with a regular shoulder dump..

Back
Top Bottom