DUI Weight harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I presume you mean the Dui Weight and Trim ?

I have one (the Weight and Trim II), as does my buddy. We like them much better than weight belts and weight integrated BC's for cold water diving

They don't slip or dig into your hips like a normal weight belt with 20+ lbs does. I find that they help your trim because they are very stable in operation.

I like them better than weight integrated BC's because they are separate and reduce the weight of your BC assembly. This makes it easier to kit up because your BC with tank is basically 20 lb+ lighter.

The only drawback I've found is that some BC belts or cumberbunds overlap and interfere with it. You can adjust the vertical position of the Weight and Trim so this isn't too much of a problem.

I concur with the above review after 60+ dives with this system. When I de-kit I sometimes forget I'm wearing weights. I see many fellow divers wearing them, too.

I tried the Weight and Trim harness at a DUI demo. My weight belt sometimes twists around my body, and the harness was an improvement as far as keeping the weight in place. However, I don't like the weight on my shoulders when I'm out of the water. I go to a lot of trouble adjusting my hiking backpack to get as much weight off my shoulders and onto my waist as possible. I'm going to keep my weight on a belt, only try to find one that stays secure as my wetsuit compresses.

I had the Weight + Trim 2. I did not like it at all. The harness slipped off my shoulders and it was just another layer of gear. But I kow people where it works for them.

I saw a buddy of mine with it and talked to him about it. He loves his.

Then I bought one. So much better than a belt ( I wear a drysuit and the belt always slipped).

Then another buddy of mine saw mine and went and got one. He loves his.

Now a guy from work who I dive with has one on order because he's sick of his belt :)

When diving with a BP/W and a drysuit, they really are nice and I'd highly recommend it in this configuration. It's very easy to adjust where the weight sits. As an example, I've recently started to use turtle fins which are about 3 lbs negative. I moved my harness up a few inches to compensate for moving weight to my feet. And voila, I'm trimmed out nicely again :)

I love mine; echo pretty much what most have already said. I went from weight integrated pockets on a TransPacII to the DUI W&T2. I now use with a BP&W

The only down side, is if you do want to remove weights while in the water, like you may do to get into a small skiff, its not as convienient as just releasing a weight belt and passing up to the crew; and it can be a pain to re-thread the releaseable pockets if you just pull the handles.

Do they interfere with the cannister of a primary light?

rongoodman:
Do they interfere with the cannister of a primary light?
I don't use a can light, but I have a feeling they would. On the W&T2, you can only adjust the pouches up/down in length. I think, on the older style W&T, there is some lateral adjustment front/back.

I'm a pretty big guy around, and on me, the weight pouches prevent anything past about 3/4 of the way to the under the armpit position on the harness belt.

PWCPD Diver:
Who's got them and do you like or dislike them? This is for the DUI Weight Harness only.

We love them!

I wear mine with my drysuit. It lets me not worry about keeping a belt secure while wearing lofty garments beneath. It also carries the weight very comfortably when I'm on foot. I can hang it low enough on my hips to eliminate the need for ankle weights.

My wife is a little fluffy and stout and a belt would always want to be under her BC too much. The W&T II hangs with below her BC and it improved her diving enjoyment and ability tremendously. The straps provide a wide range of adjustment. There are also many sizes that allow you to get the back side wishbone to fall in the right place. She has adopted mine until she stops diving for the winter in a few more weeks.

I'd also highly recomend it to anyone who lacks the hips to be confident in belt retention.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom