DUI TLS350 - will it last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, Ive decided to get a custom fit DUI suit. Now I need to choose the model. Because of the expense of these suits I'd love to find a way to justify the TLS350 over the CF200. I do mostly shore dives in 50 degree water with poor visibility (5'-15'). I like to spear fish occasionally and when I do that I tend to brush up against piers, rocks, etc. I take really good care of my stuff but I do brush up against stuff.

Will brushing up against stuff (not really banging into it) create any problems with the TLS350 material? I know everybody says the CF200 is bulletproof but I like the lighter weight, fast drying (and cheaper) features of the TLS350. I just don't want to ruin it while I'm screwing around trying to get a fish into my goody bag.

Thanks!

...but I have a 450. I can't imagine the 350 not being able to take what you dish out. Most of the people cave diving have them and you brush up against all kinds of crap in caves and their suits have lasted for years.

I bought my TLS350 10 years ago. I have used it in caves, wrecks, you name it. It has held up well. I don't think you can go wrong with the TLS350. BTW, I have my first leak in the suit, so think I have gotten my money's worth!

Wow! Sounds pretty durable. Why would folks buy the CF200 if the TLS 350 is lighter, dries faster, is more flexible, very rugged (from what you've said) and is cheaper to boot?

I think the CF200 may be more durable...but the people I know that have them have never had a problem with the TLS350's durability. Cost?

The TLS350 is about $400 cheaper than the CF200. Maybe the CF200 is for REALLY, REALLY rough use like commercial diving???

I own and dive both!

The 350 will last you a long time without worries!!

Hallmac

The CF200 material offers a little stretch and a small amount of insulation. So they can be cut a little snugger and still offer the required mobility and they are perhaps an teeny bit warmer with the same undergarment.

Trilaminate suits like the TLS 350 are easier to repair - not quite as easy as repairing a vulcanized rubber suit but darn close. I have had two suits using 420 weight fabric over the last 10 yrs and have never put a hole in either of them and this includes some commercial diving around docks, metal, cables, etc. 350 weight fabric is not that much lighter and would hold up equally well.

Given the life expectancy of the average tri-laminate suit, you will get tired of the suit long before you wear it out, so I have never really seen a reason to spend more on CF200 fabric.

Back
Top Bottom