Is this DUI TLS350 too big for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swaysion

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,

I have a chance to buy a like new Large DUI TLS350 with silicone seals and socks for about $700 CAD.

I used this exact dry suit to get my certification and I had fun in it. When I did my drysuit course, the water was like 80F and 25ft deep, so I only had a base layer on. I'll typically dive FE Arctics and/or Xerotherm, so the suit should fit a little more snug than it did.

This is NOT my dream suit. However, if it's good enough for me to dive safely and fairly comfortably, I would use it to prove to myself that I'll make it out to cold water dive often enough to justify spending $3-4k on something custom.

It's either this or I rent over the next 2-3 years.

This is how far off I am for each measurement:

HEIGHT: I'm 1 inch short

CHEST: I'm within range

WAIST: I'm 5 inches short of the minimum in the range

HIPS: I'm within range

SPINE TO WRIST: 1 inch short of the minimum in the range

FLOOR TO CROTCH: 3.5 inches short of the minimum in the range

SHOE SIZE: 1.5 sizes lower than the minimum (is it possible to get the sock removed and replace it with one that fits perfectly/boot? If so, any idea what the cost of something like this would be?)

I have to make a decision within the next 36 hours, so your input is greatly appreciated.

I can only share my experience, which I've seen echoed a lot on here. I bought used. On paper it should fit well, in reality it's an off the rack size and more often than not it's just not "right". I dive it and I make do and it's fine, but I do have some suit envy when I see guys with custom suits that just look like they fit perfect.

There's that saying buy once, cry once. If you're hung up on DUI then you'll cry a good bit, but Seaskin makes a nice custom suit for less. When the money is tight, that'll be the direction I head in.

I don't think you'll find anybody recommending a suit that doesn't fit perfect. You can make it work, but you won't be 100% happy.

Just my opinion.

I have a stock large DUI TLS350 that I dive, it does not fit exactly perfectly but close enough to comfortably get the job done. Yes socks can be replaced but it will cost $125-150 in labor + cost of sock or boot (figure $45 for sock, 150 for boot).

In the measurements you give I would be concerned about the spine-wrist measurement and crotch to floor measurement. Both of those being too short will result in excess material on the arms and legs which could be problematic for you in the future, especially the crotch to floor.

A few other things to consider.

1. With neoprene socks you are best to use some kind of rock boot or shoe on top of them (unless you are walking only on soft/flat surfaces like a boat or a sandy beach. Anything else and you will want a shoe over the neoprene.

2. Does your 350 have Zipseals on neck and wrists? Zipseals are DUIs patented easy replace system. They work really well but are expensive. Buying replacement seals will cost 100-120 us for a set of wrist seals or a new neck seal.

3. Do the pockets meet your needs. In my case I have the DUI zippered pocket and a small velcro pocket. They work but I would have much preferred larger velcro bellows pockets that are more common now, i have them on some of my wetsuits and they really are a lot easier to work with. Pockets can be replaced but will cost 300+ to do it.

If you can try the suit on before you buy it would go a long way to answering your question of whether it will fit or not. If you can't try it on and you have concerns about the fit better to walk and try something else. @rob.mwpropane is right, buy once cry once.

@rob.mwpropane @loosenit2

Appreciate the feedback.

To clarify a couple of things:

1. I did dive this exact suit. I did my dry suit course in it and was dry and comfortable. However, the water was 80F and 25 ft deep, so I don't know how it will feel at 60 ft plus. I imagine dealing with squeeze gets more difficult the deeper I go?

2. I am 100% on team "buy once cry once." However, I'm not a fan of "buy once, then hardly ever use the $3k+ suit because I thought I'd make the 2+ hour drive to dive more often." If I end up doing a decent amount of cold water diving (mainly Great Lakes), I will not hesitate to buy a top end bespoke suit. Until I've proven to myself that I'll do a lot of cold water diving, it's probably a used suit or renting for 2-3 years.

I've looked at Seaskin, and with the options I'd want, it will cost quite a bit more than $700 CAD by the time it lands in Canada. The idea is to go cheap/rent to ensure I love it and will make it out often enough to justify the spend on something like the FE Argonaut 2.0 (or whatever catches my eye 2ish years from now).

If the suit fits with some good thermals on underneath without restricting your movement then go for it.

I generally wear thicker footwear (Fourth Element) when diving colder waters and that pads out the neoprene socks on my drysuit and worked well with my previous DUI suit.

I don't really advise walking around in drysuit without boots over the neoprene socks in case some sharp object makes a small hole in them.

I don't know how it will feel at 60 ft plus. I imagine dealing with squeeze gets more difficult the deeper I go
Feels exactly the same as 25 ft if you're doing it right. "Dealing" with squeeze (i.e., adding air) is actually easier at depth. You add less (or less often) when going from 60-70 ft than when going from 10-20 ft.

You already dove it at its baggiest. If you were comfortable then, I don't think things would be worse if you fill it out a bit with thicker undergarments.

Worst case is you sell it if it starts to bug you later. At that point, you'll hopefully know if you really want to continue.

1. I did dive this exact suit. I did my dry suit course in it and was dry and comfortable. However, the water was 80F and 25 ft deep, so I don't know how it will feel at 60 ft plus. I imagine dealing with squeeze gets more difficult the deeper I go?

no dealing with squeeze does not get more difficult, you simply add small amounts of air while descending to reduce squeeze and maintain loft of undergarments.

Ascending is more challenging, i think the most challenging depths to deal with is the 33 to surface range, which is exactly the same with managing buoyancy. ATM reduces by 1/2 in this range, same as if you go from 99 to 33. With a little practice and learning to manage your dump valve and where the bubble at is is not that difficult.

if you use the suit to dive different temperatures you will need different undergarments. Those different undergarments will effect your weighting quite a bit, depending on the tank(s) you use.

potentially a bit late to the post.
If you are looking into replacing the sock by boots, its no problem to shorten the leg. (at least at a proper dry suit repair company).
I've did the same with my TLS350 3y ago and am still happy diving it. I've still got glued on latex wrist seals and I can imagine its possible to shorten the arms a bit if needed if you've got glued seals.

At the moment I've got a FLX450 made to measure on order and its an investment but hopefully it will last 10y.
The verb used in my area (half the divers dive Bare, the other half dives DUI) Druppelt (starts dripping) Uiteindelijk (evenatually) In (inside).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom