DUI "Stock" Drysuits Eliminated on Dec 1, 2012??? Price Increase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rocketmahn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I stopped by our local dive shop today to place an order for a new DUI drysuit.

The 1st thing that they told me was that they have bad news from DUI....

As of today (12/1/12 DUI Dealer pricelist) they said that DUI no longer offers "Stock" sized drysuits and that I will have to pay a couple of hundred dollars more for a "Select" suit in a standard "Stock" size! :(

They told me that if I had stopped in yesterday (11/30/12) I could have ordered a standard "Stock" sized suit at the "Stock" prices.

So instead of raising prices is DUI now only offering their higher priced drysuits or did the local dive shop read the price list wrong??

There are more suit makers out there. My friend can't find where his leak is on his 350. But he sure has one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With some suits stock sizes are actually made to order if the suit is not actually in the store. So small alterations like an inch off an inseam or arm is not a big deal and may result in no extra charge. The suits I sell do have a stock size chart. But are in fact cut and assembled after they get the order. So even if you are a stock on the chart I still like to have you fill out the order from as if it were a full custom. It also helps if you are between sizes as the ones who make the suit can say while it looks like he's a stock large say. There are a couple numbers that tell us a large short may be a better fit. Based on the fact that they have made thousands of suits it's a good bet they know what they are talking about.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Comparing DUI to some other operations I can see why they went this way and IMO it's not a big deal.

1) There's no real economy of scale to a stock size so the savings at their end is minimal. Yes they can cut from a predetermined pattern set but by and large the material, labor and risk stays the same. It's not like their stock suits are coming over by the container from some off shore supplier.

2) My wife and I bought at the same time. She was a Signature custom gal from the get go. I appeared to fall into a stock size nicely at Dog Day. By the time I featured my suit with pockets, cloverleaf, color, hood and whatever else our prices were virtually the same for comparably featured suits, except mine didn't say signature.

3) Despite seeming to fit right at Dog Day when my suit arrived it didn't fit at all like my recollection of the demo suit I had tried. We'll never know what happened but they took the high road and made it all good. My point is that for a purchase of this magnitude there is very good reason to measure twice and cut once as they say. Again nearly equivalent effort is prudent even to safety order a stock size.

Let's face it, if you have decided to buy a DUI you have already decided that rock bottom price for the function is not a significant criteria. If they can improve the predictability of fit by giving precise attention to each and every suit sold it's probably the best deal for all in the long run.

Pete

I'd agree with Pete except DUI's success rate with getting a custom measured suit right is about the same as getting the size right on a stock suit. They tend to vary a bit too much, and when the variance is in the too small direction and it won't fit or allow adequate mobility, the suit has to go back for alteration so the customer has now had to wait for the suit to be made, then wait for at least one round of alterations - and they've paid extra money for the privilege.

Granted, DUI was making stock suits to order, so there was still a delay, but I see the upcharge as just a means for DUI to cover the costs for their mistakes by force people to choose a custom suit. So I guess you can get quality control of a sorts that way, but only for more money on top of an already excessive base price.

DUI has long since become just an average dry suit manufacturer that still trades on their prior rep and charges way too much for the DUI label on the sleeve. Charging more is just their way of trying to "prove" they are still the best.. IU'd prefer they do that instead with custom suits that fit like they are supposed to and with suits that don't leak - you know, the concept of actual substance over the appearance of substance.

There are simply better suits out there at better prices.

I do know that altrerations of custom suits not are that uncommon. My wife, the "not off the rack" gal has had 3 custom wet suits, 2 of which were profesionally measured and all 3 ended up with alterations, some significant. They nailed her DUI Signature.

The fit of a drysuit IMO is more subjectibe that a wetsuit. If a wetsuit fits to the skin (no bags.wrinkles) and you can bend over and do jumping jacks you are good. A dysuit, especially a "bag suit" needs room to move, but not be baggy and work with a sometimes nebulous assortment of undergarments. Divers want to look tailored (like a DUI add) so they may have a bias to a close fit to give the look but that's not always the best means to the right end result. A big suit looks too big and brings plenty of divability/safety issues. It's almost like checking beds in the "Goldilocks and the 3 bears"!

It sure sounds like a tough business to be in!

I'm curious (I don't know) if all the other drysuit brands market custom suits as extensively? I know PADI gets beat on for diver competency but they are the ones putting the most divers in the water. Is some of this just a visible volume thing?

Pete

Hi folks,
I came across thisposting and while I usually stay out of this type of thing (the last thing Iwant to do is try to “sell” to people on a message board), I thought that thisis the type of question in which I am probably in the best position toanswer.
First, yes, DUI no longeroffers “stock” suits. This is because wefound that our customers did not want a “stock” suit. They preferred having a different color,adding pockets or pads, wanting a different boot style or size, etc. Therefore DUI now offers the Select Series –an upgraded version of the standard suit AT NO EXTRA CHARGE. We did not raise our prices. We actually give you more for the same price.
Think of it this way.When you want to buy a car and go to the car lot, do they only have one car andin one color? No.
FOR THE SAME PRICE, DUIgives divers the choice to choose their size from S – XXL, regular short ortall, pick your color, pick your boot type and style and even pick your seals.
We now even include DUI’spatented ZipSeals in the suit price. Wedid increase the price of the suit to include ZipSeals but again the price didnot go up. The prices remain the same.
This all just happened aswe presented it to dealers first and we just need a couple of weeks to get ourwebsite up to date. If there issomething on the old price list that you want, no problem. We would be happy to honor it throughDecember. However I think you will findthe new packaging a much better value for you overall. We have done our best to give divers all ofthe options amd an easier way to choose. Example:
1. Pick your drysuit style that is best for youand your diving
2. Pick the version – Select (sizesS-XXL in regular, short and tall) or Signature Series (made-to-measure)
3. Pick the accessory package for you suit – we havemade 3 packages with the most popular accessories and you save 20-25% with thepackage
4. Pick the divewear insulation package thatworks best for your diving and save 20% on the insulation
Another really cool thingis that 2013 is DUI's 50th Anniversary. So for all suits ordered from now through theend of 2013, divers have the option to put a special Gold 50thAnniversary patch on their DUI suit at no extra charge!
We are making changes tostreamline the decision making process for both our divers and ourdealers. Something that will neverchange is our dedication to divers and providing them with the most options,the highest quality and the best service than any other drysuit company.
If you ever have aquestion, you are always welcome to contact DUI directly at Support@DUI-Online.com or at(800)325-8439 x1. Our factory is openM-F, 8am-5pm Pacific Time.

Thank you for this opportunity.

Susan Long
President & CEO
Diving Unlimited International, Inc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom