DUI Neoprene ZipGloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is anyone using the DUI Compressed Neoprene ZipGloves? I'm thinking of moving from my SI-Tech glove system to zipgloves and the Neoprene gloves seem like the best way to go.

How is the dexterity? I've used standard neoprene gloves when wetsuit diving before, so I'm assuming these would be similiar.

Spanks!

J

I had the blue Zipgloves on my DUI suit. I didn't like the gloves or the suit. Sold suit to my sister who likes the suit, but she doesn't like the gloves.

Dexterity was fine. I wore a thin wool glove and it stayed warm. However, you cannot pop your gloves on and off. Once you put your drysuit on, then your gloves are on too. Can be a PITA getting your BCD and the rest of your gear on.

Is anyone using the DUI Compressed Neoprene ZipGloves? I'm thinking of moving from my SI-Tech glove system to zipgloves and the Neoprene gloves seem like the best way to go.

How is the dexterity? I've used standard neoprene gloves when wetsuit diving before, so I'm assuming these would be similiar.

I tried the Neoprene ZipGloves at the last DOG Rally I went to. They're pretty nice, but clearly less dexterity than the oranges, and somewhat less dexterity than regular wetsuit gloves. Since they have to have enough space for the liners and a little air to keep them warm, they are not as snug fitting as regular wetsuit gloves. Even so, I was perfectly able to hold my nose to clear my ears and control my inflator. And they were wonderfully warm.

The only thing that keeps stopping me from buying ZipGloves is PinkPADIgal's problem: Once they're on, they're on. I can't use those for classes. I'd love it if DUI would figure out a way to make ZipRings, where you could zip in a seal with a ring for detachable gloves. But I might get the ZipGloves for my own diving in cold water. They are comfy.

Decisions, decisions....

I have 2 pair, 1 large and 1 xl. Unlike any other dry gloves I have tried, these neos actually have some insulating value without liners. I wear the large over bare hands as soon as the water temp drops below 50 deg. They fit me fairly snug and I have great dexterity. Around 40 deg I switch to the xl with the liners. Dex is somewhat less, but with practice I can do everything I need to do while wearing them. The one serious fault I found is that all nylon exterior is somewhat lacking in grip, so I coated the fingertips in thinned down aquaseal to make them a bit grippier. In short I love them.

I have DUI zip seals on my gloves and love them. I also teach in them with no problems. As to gearing up, no problem. Yes, it's a little more difficult than without, but I just make sure everything is ready to go before I slip the rest of the suit on.

As to the neck seal, the trick is to reverse the process of suiting up. Put your neckseal on first before donning the gloves. Also make sure you have not snapped the crotch strap yet as you will need the slack for getting the gloves on with the neckseal already on.

The trade off to me, with the beginnings of arthritis in my hands is a no brainer. I need gloves that do not have a wrist seal on them......the wrist seal restricts blood flow to the hands which is an issue with keeping them warm.

I haven't tried the compressed gloves, but to hear they are warmer has me contemplating a DUI order!

The compressed neoprene zip gloves are much more skin friendly when you try to wipe snot off your face. Blue gloves have mucho traction and chafe my nose. I prefer the neoprene for dexterity as they don't bunch up as much when squeezed making them easier for things like tying knots. With the thin liners my hands get soggy in the neoprenes diving cold water.

I have the blue Zip gloves & have no problems gearing up with my BP/Wing combo with a crotch strap. That would include attaching slung Deco bottles also.
In 40 degree water they are great. I do want to try the Neo gloves before buying. Probably do a DOG Day next year just for this.

The strap is to minimize, but not eliminate, the air flow in and out of the glove. I just got a pair for the holidays and haven't had a chance to use them yet. Soon though.

The only thing that keeps stopping me from buying ZipGloves is PinkPADIgal's problem: Once they're on, they're on. I can't use those for classes. I'd love it if DUI would figure out a way to make ZipRings, where you could zip in a seal with a ring for detachable gloves. But I might get the ZipGloves for my own diving in cold water. They are comfy.
I just bought a new DUI suit and I'm experimenting with the Zipgloves. Sure I can dive them, but I like being able to take off my gloves without doffing the suit or other contortions. I think I will eventually get DC rings glued onto my suit, like my last suit. I'll be able to take the gloves off easily and the replacement cost goes down to $15 and 3 minutes. I won't have an inner seal, but the standard Zipgloves don't have that either.

I've also experimented with putting DC rings on latex Zipseals. So far, I like this better than the Zipgloves.

As to the neck seal, the trick is to reverse the process of suiting up. Put your neckseal on first before donning the gloves. Also make sure you have not snapped the crotch strap yet as you will need the slack for getting the gloves on with the neckseal already on.
The San Diego Shuffle :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom